Peter Moore has been a giant in the video game industry for the last two decades. He started his career in video games at SEGA, eventually becoming the president of SEGA of America. He then moved to Microsoft, where he helped guide the new console company through the launch of the Xbox and Xbox 360. He then moved on to Electronic Arts, where he was the head of the insanely popular EA Sports division of the company. And, over the last year, he has been in charge of EA’s new eSports division.
Sadly, Moore is now leaving the video game industry for his true love: soccer (except he’s British, so he would call it futbol).
Moore accepted the offer to be Liverpool FC’s CEO at the end of February, and today was his last day at EA. A man with this much influence in the gaming industry surely has many memories, and he has released a heartfelt video and written statement, thanking his friends, family, fans, and supporters for helping him accomplish everything he has done:
His written statement, published on his private Twitter account and later on the NeoGAF forums, has some touching quotes. You can read the whole thing here, but some of the highlights include:
- “From the advent of online gaming (albiet via a 56k modem), to the ‘console wars,’ and now to games as 365 days a year, live experiences, I have been fortunate to have borne witness to the amazing growth of this, our wonderful gaming industry.”
- “If you are a gamer, take a deep breath and a moment of reflection occasionally and admire the incredibly creativity of the medium you love.”
- “I move on now, not to a job, but more of a calling.”
- He signs off with “You’ll never walk alone,” which the crowd sings together at Liverpool matches.
Peter Moore has been a lifelong fan of Liverpool FC, the club he is taking over. His legacy and impact on the gaming industry is undeniable, and we wish him luck in his future in the sports world.
Any specific aspects of Peter Moore’s legacy stand out to you? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest posts by Jordan Baranowski (see all)
- Fallout: Wasteland Warfare Is Now Available For Pre-Order - October 17, 2017
- Here’s The New Steam Trailer For Hunt: Showdown - October 16, 2017
- Football Manager 2018 Promises Bigger Role For Sports Science - October 16, 2017