Industry veteran Team17 is preparing to celebrate its 25th birthday. Originally founded in 1990, the developer will turn 25 on the 7th of December. To celebrate, Team17 is partnering with the Microsoft’s Xbox One Games Store, the Humble Store, the Steam Store, Sony’s PlayStation Store, Apple’s App Store and the Google Play store to deliver a variety of promotions across the month of December. These will range from full game giveaways, money off, free merchandise with discounted purchases, with giveaways of concept art and wallpapers for next year’s products happening during the promotion too.
The promotion begins today with Worms Battlegrounds being featured on Xbox One’s Deals with Gold where the game is discounted by 80% and Overruled has 75% off. The daily promotions will run throughout December until the 25th. For day to day notifications on what’s happening throughout the month you cna follow Team17 on Twitter @Team17Ltd.
Team17 has also provided some interesting facts about themselves from the past 25 years to celebrate.
- Team17’s first ever game release Full Contact went straight to No.1 in the UK.
- Team17’s Worms franchise has sold/dowloaded over 70 million units – despite the original game, Total Wormage not winning the Amiga Format Readers competition before signing with Team17.
- The number 7 and 17 are Debbie Bestwick’s lucking numbers (Team17, Worms launched on 17th November, Team17’s birthday is the 7th , her birthday is also the 7th March– spooky!)
- Team17 have released 34 unique titled games (Worms franchise counted as 1)
- The Concrete Donkey from the Worms series of videogames actually existed as a garden ornament in the garden of Worms creator Andy Davidson’s parents. As a child the young Andy was afraid of the Concrete Donkey.
- Worms was first prototyped on a Texas Instruments calculator during an A-Level maths lesson.
- Project X, Team17’s Amiga classic was so difficult most people struggled to get past Level 2/3, so Team17 ended up realising a cheat mode on the cover mount disk of a many Amiga magazines to help struggling players
- Alien Breed had 87 cheats and secrets locked in the game. Most of the cheat codes are totally unprintable today!
- Alien Breed SE took 6 weeks in development to remix and stayed No1 in the UK for 33 weeks
- Team17 partnered with superstar legends (in our opinion) Epic Megagames and Housemarque to publish Silverball and Super Stardust in the 1990s.
Latest posts by Brian Cowan (see all)
- Shovel Knight The Definitive Soundtrack Announced - October 30, 2016
- Natural Disasters Hit Cities: Skylines in New Trailer - October 25, 2016
- Paizo Announces Pathfinder Worldscape Comic - October 20, 2016