This week, Tomorrowland & Poltergeist debut and both should have decent openings. Tomorrowland should be able to take the top spot from last week’s Pitch Perfect 2 though going into the weekend, the movie is receiving lackluster receptions from critics which could affect its output.
Tomorrowland should open mid-$40 million for the weekend. The movie will also have to compete with a handful of films released the past weeks including Mad Max: Fury Road which has been critically received from critics and fans, as well as Avengers: Age of Ultron, which is Marvel’s second installment in the Avengers franchise.
The other new release, Poltergeist, is a remake from the original and could bring in around $25 million which would be a great opening as recently horror films have had a decline at the box office. Though its been several months since we have seen a film in its genre release and combined with the movie being a remake it should play well.
For holdovers, Pitch Perfect 2 will compete against Tomorrowland for the top spot. The movie should hold well from last week and should bring in around $40 million for its second week. Mad Max: Fury Road should also hold well and a take of $25 million seems possible.
Avengers: Age of Ultron will finish off the Top 5 with a take in of around $22 million. The super hero team up will also pass $400 million at the domestic box office this weekend.
Box Office Predictions:
1. Tomorrowland – $44.8 million ($52 million – 4 Day)
2. Pitch Perfect 2 – $42.5 million ($49 million – 4 Day)
3. Poltergeist – $25 million ($29 million – 4 Day)
4. Mad Max: Fury Road – $24 million ($31 million – 4 Day)
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron – $21 million ($25 million – 4 Day)
Check back Saturday for our Friday Box office breakdown. What movie do you think will come out on top this week?
Latest posts by Luke Colling (see all)
- Jurassic World Has Biggest Opening of All Time - June 14, 2015
- Spy Takes Top Spot with $30M Opening - June 8, 2015
- San Andreas Rocks the Box Office with $53.2M Opening - June 1, 2015