With Age of Empires IV a few months out, there’s still plenty to keep RTS fans entertained in the meantime. Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition‘s second expansion, Dawn of the Dukes, is out today. With its sights firmly set on medieval Europe, Dawn of the Dukes includes two new civilizations alongside three new campaigns and a slew of fresh achievements for the most dedicated players to unlock.
Two New Civilizations Head to Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
The two new civilizations joining the Age of Empires II roster are the Poles and the Bohemians.
While The Poles is a cavalry civilization, its unique, the Obuch, is a brutal infantryman armed with a war hammer that shines against heavily armored units. Alongside, the Poles also have the Lithuanian’s Winged Hussar, a light cavalry unit that’s both cheap and disposable, perfect for sneak raids. As for its unique building, the Poles have the Folwark. Effectively a mill, it acts to improve the yield of any nearby farms. Lastly, the Poles enter Age of Empires II with a duo of unique technologies – Szlachta Privileges and Lechitic Legacy – designed to up the combat abilities of cavalry units.
The Bohemians bring a combination of gunpowder and monks to the battlefield with a well-drilled defensive style. Their unique unit, the Hussite Wagon, resembles the existing Age of Empires II Korean civilization, a precursor to modern-day tanks, offering a barrage of firepower to protect defending units. The Houfnice is the second unique unit, in effect an upgraded Bombard Cannon that’s particularly competent against buildings and defenses. Finally, the Bohemians’ unique techs, Wagenburg Tactics, and Hussite Reforms, provide a major boost to gunpowder units and monks.
Dawn of the Dukes Campaigns
The first of the three new campaigns heading to Age of Empires II charts the story of Lithuanian royalty Algirdas and Kestutis as they contend with a Teutonic invasion. The second, Jadwiga, follows a young ruler’s struggle to unify the Poles and Lithuanians. Finally, Jan Zizka tracks a mercenary-turned-general’s efforts to transform warfare with advanced tactics and technological innovation.
You can check the complete list of achievements introduced by the Age of Empires II: Definition Edition Dawn of the Dukes expansion below.
- Bond of Brothers – Complete the Algirdas and Kestutis campaign.
- Tolerant Piety – This achievement can be unlocked during the Algirdas & Kestutis campaign.
- Scattered Horde – This achievement can be unlocked during the Algirdas & Kestutis campaign.
- Mint Condition – This achievement can be unlocked during the Algirdas & Kestutis campaign.
- Star of the Poles – Complete the Jadwiga campaign.
- Protector of the Realm – This achievement can be unlocked during the Jadwiga campaign.
- No Baggage – This achievement can be unlocked during the Jadwiga campaign.
- No Quarter – This achievement can be unlocked during the Jadwiga campaign.
- Man of the Chalice – Complete the Jan Zizka campaign.
- Malevolent Marauder – This achievement can be unlocked during the Jan Zizka campaign.
- Zizkov Hill – This achievement can be unlocked during the Jan Zizka campaign.
- Against All – This achievement can be unlocked during the Jan Zizka campaign.
- Bohemian Victory – Win a game playing as the Bohemians.
- Polish Victory – Win a game playing as the Poles.
- Rhapsody of the Bohemians – Train 10 Houfnices as the Bohemians.
- Fast Food – Gather 500 food by constructing farms next to Folwarks as the Poles.
Age of Empires II: Definition Edition is out now on PC via Steam and the Microsoft Store.