Update 11/03/2020 11:37am – Entertainment Association Software have officially confirmed that E3 2020 has been canceled.
“After careful consultation with our member companies regarding the health and safety of everyone in our industry–our fans, our employees, our exhibitors and our longtime E3 partners–we have made the difficult decision to cancel E3 2020, scheduled for June 9-11 in Los Angeles. Following increased and overwhelming concerns about the COVID-19 virus, we felt this was the best way to proceed during such an unprecedented global situation. We are very disappointed that we are unable to hold this event for our fans and supporters. But we know it’s the right decision based on the information we have today.”
The ESA said they will be in touch with exhibitors and attendees for full refunds. They are also exploring the possibility for a completely online E3 2020.
Original story: Annual gaming event Electronic Entertainment Expo has been canceled. The cancelation comes in the wake of Covid-19, more commonly known as Coronavirus, which has seen numerous events and gatherings choosing to cancel or postpone.
Multiple sources close to organizer Entertainment Association Software have informed Ars Technica that the event will not be going ahead. There’s currently no official announcement from E3 or ESA, but we can most likely expect one in the morning. Developer Devolver Digital also cryptically tweeted, telling attendees to “cancel your E3 flights and hotels, y’all.” It is unknown yet if E3 will take alternative measures, such as a later date or an entirely live-streamed event.
The possibility of E3 going ahead this year had been up in the air since last week. ESA was “actively assessing” the Coronavirus situation after Los Angeles had declared a state of emergency. ESA had said how “the health and safety of [their] attendees, exhibitors, partners, and staff is [their] top priority.
E3’s cancelation comes off the back of several other gaming events axing their upcoming gatherings. TwitchCon Amsterdam recently canceled their event due to Coronavirus concerns. Several developers have also been pulling out of events. Both Sony and the Final Fantasy XIV development team pulled out of PAX East. Guilty Gear developers Arc System Works also canceled their appearance at fighting game tournament Final Round 2020.
Coronavirus has also seen the movie industry take a hit. Both No Time To Die and Peter Rabbit 2 have seen their release dates pushed back amid falling ticket sales in countries such as China and Italy, which have seen movie theatres closing their doors to help combat the virus spreading.
E3 has already taken numerous hits this year. In January, Sony announced they would not attend the event for the second year running. A month later, E3 veteran Geoff Keighly announced he would not be attending the event for the first time in 25 years. Production and merchandise company Iam8bit also stepped down from E3, a mere two months after signing on as creative director.
Are you concerned about the future of E3? Let us know in the comments.
Studying Games Journalism & PR in the UK. When she isn’t studying hard (AKA crying in the library), Mollie is probably splatting squids in Splatoon 2 or playing God in The Sims 4.