Old Sharlayan is one of the new zones you can explore in Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker expansion. There, you might stumble upon an optional quest called “Secret in the Box”. Although it is actually a pretty simple quest, it is kind of tricky to understand since you have to visit three NPCs and give specific commands to two of them. While the Gil and XP rewards are not much for high-leveled players, but it gives you a decent level 545 item, Chondrite Ring Coffer. If you want to tackle it but end up getting stumped, here’s how you can complete the “Secret in the Box” Quest in FFXIV: Endwalker.
FFXIV: Endwalker: How to Solve the “Secret in the Box” Quest
- Finish the Level 88 “Outside Help” Main Scenario Quest.
- Get your Disciples of War or Disciples of Magic class to Level 80.
The quest is given by Mysterious Maiden NPC in The Studium in Old Sharlayan, precisely at the X 10.6, Y 11.1 coordinates. Talk to her to begin the quest and she’ll give you a letter with riddles in it:
Dear [name], There is a gift for you in the box─if you can open it. To do so, you must acquire three keys, the keepers of which are somewhere in Sharlayan. Solve the following riddles to find them. And do try to have fun. This is a game, after all.
Towards wisdom aspiring, a keeper doth gaze, By young minds inquiring and new trails blazed. Yet the mind is a muscle, in rest it doth grow, So let all embrace slumber, the better to know.
By life ever-flowing, a keeper doth wait, Clutching a prize, his hunger to sate. Yet no prize is so coveted as one golden-hued, The mention of which is never thought rude.
Blessed by the nymphai, a keeper doth stand, Enthralled in a tale, a book in his hand. Yet evocative as letters on parchment may be,
Tis words said and heard which impel destiny.”
- The first line refers to the Sleepy Student. Head towards X 7.9, Y 13.8 coordinates, use the /doze emote in front of Sleepy Student.
- The second riddle means a nutkin and its acorn. Go to X 9, Y 7.3 coordinates. Say “Golden Acorn” (/say golden acorn) to the nutkin squirrel.
- Lastly, head over to X 11.5, Y 8.5 coordinates, and talk to Izumi. Just interact with the NPC, you don’t have to choose any specific dialogue options.
- And that’s it, you’re done with the quest!
FFXIV: Endwalker – “Secret in the Box” Rewards:
- 168,000 – 190,000 Experience Points.
- 735 Gil.
- Chondrite Ring Coffer.