Although much of the kerfuffle surrounding Game of Thrones lately has been about the whopping FOUR spinoffs that are on the way, do not lose sight of the fact that we still need to finish the OG series. And the penultimate season is just over a month away, premiering on HBO July 16th. HBO has kept up a slow trickle of screens and tidbits to whet our appetites, and they surprised us today with the first full trailer for the upcoming seventh season. Check it:
So, what have we got to look forward to? Here’s what the trailer shows us:
- Cersei waxing on all the enemies the Lannisters are surrounded by, all while standing on a giant map of Westeros in King’s Landing.
- Jaime and Cersei look very unhappy with their current situation.
- Tyrion still in love with the dragons, who are now very, very large.
- Daenerys claiming her throne at Dragonstone.
- Jon Snow (Jon Stark? Jon Targaryen?) claiming his throne at Winterfell.
- Littlefinger plotting.
- Ser Davos trying to bring people together.
- A whole lot of fights: Dothraki, Lannisters, Grey Worm, etc.
- A montage of running, kissing, explosions, and board game pieces being knocked over.
- And then…
The dragon! The trailer concludes with a massive, charging army dwarfed by one of Dany’s massive dragons flying overhead. If that just doesn’t get your goosebumps going, I don’t know what will.
We close with this quote: “The great war is here.” It looks like the seventh season will focus on the war between the houses, which will probably leave us with the war against the white walkers for the final season. We’ll be back with episode reviews when season seven premieres on July 16th. You can read our review of last season’s finale here.
Excited for the return of Game of Thrones? Who do you think is going to win, if you can even call it that? Let us know in the comments below.