Independent video game studio Solar Powered Games and publisher Assemble Entertainment (Endzone – A World Apart, Encodya, Jessika) recently announced Highrisers, an urban survival RPG currently planned for a Windows PC release via Steam on May 6, 2021. The announcement came accompanied by a gameplay release trailer (embedded below), with the game’s Steam page ready for all your wishlist needs.
The result of a successful Solar Powered Games 2016 Kickstarter drive, Highrisers invites you to survive the collapse of society in the midst of an urban city setting. Commanding the high ground and sticking to the rooftops of the city’s skyscrapers is the best way you and your group will survive. In this apocalyptic survival RPG, the ground level has been infected and overrun by ‘Dreamers’, people who have become “light-sensitive somnabulators” by some inexplicable disease. Effectively trapped above ground, your characters are both relatively safe and in a particularly perilous situation.
Thankfully, there’s a chopper on the rooftop, but it needs major repairs. As one of four survivors, you’ll need to bring your individual skills to bear while searching for weapons and other survival gear. But most importantly, you’ll need to search for and collect the parts needed to repair the chopper to fly your group to safety.
- Tricky top floor survival gameplay. Search through skyscrapers level by level for supplies. Risk descending to the lower floors where the best items, and infected Dreamers, are waiting.
- Four survivors to play as, each with their own special skillset: Ann, the scientist; Ike, the pilot, and mechanic; Jes, the young tech engineer; and Mo, the construction worker.
- Procedurally generated gameplay. Each highrise is randomly set up with different levels and items, which makes each playthrough just as engaging as the last.
- Unique Dreamer enemy, people “struck by a mysterious prion disease” that has turned them into sleepwalking zombies who become more aggressive and more active with each sunset.
- Crafting, researching, scavenging, and teamwork to survive long enough to repair the chopper and escape to safety.