Minecraft is a game about building things; cute little houses with a few animals in the yard. Minecraft is a game that lets you explore an untapped world: taiga, extreme hills, forests, and plains populate your voxel world forever. It’s so peaceful and quaint in the digital world of your making.
Yet, on occasion, you just need to smash in some skeleton skulls. To aid in this lust for pure E rated violence, Minecraft and Mojang have released their latest update, and it’s all about COMBAT.
In Update 1.9, a whole range of combat based changes has been implemented. No longer will you be able to swing your sword/axe willy-nilly at approaching mobs. Now you have to wait for your swing to recharge before you can try and connect again. Also, “The End” has been revamped to offer more of a challenge to players who’ve become bored with crafting and surviving on the surface.
Here’s a list of some of the major changes in 1.9: [Source]
- Added shields
- Attacking now has a “cool-down” delay, making it more important to time your attacks
- You can now hold items in both hands (default quick key to swap items is ‘F’)
- Swords have a special sweep attack
- Axes have a special crushing blow attack
- Added the elytra
- New mob: Shulker
- Expanded The End
- Added Chorus plants
- New Purpur blocks
- New End Rod block
- Added dragon head block
- Ender Dragon can be resummoned
- Added beetroot and beetroot soup (from MC: PE)
- Added grass path block
- Added igloos
- Armor protection values have been lowered
- Added tipped arrows
- Added spectral arrows
- Added Frost Walker enchantment and frosted ice block
- Added a whole bunch of new sound effects
- Added sound effect subtitles
- Brewing Stand now requires Blaze Powder to activate
- Added skeleton riders
Also, did we mention dual wielding? Offhand slots allow players to hold a weapon in one hand and a torch/pickaxe/shield in the other. It truly is 2016.
So, what do you think about the newest update? Let us know what you think in the comments below.