As players explore the vast, massive world of Minecraft, they might wish to craft a map for navigation, but first, they will need to acquire paper. Paper is a valuable resource not only mapping regions and biomes but also can be used to craft books, banner patterns, and even firework rockets. Players can find paper in randomly generated chests of shipwrecks, strongholds, and villages. Map chests in shipwrecks and library chests in strongholds will often have a very high chance of containing several pieces of paper. Alternatively, Minecraft players can learn how to make paper on their own.
How to Make Paper in Minecraft
To make paper in Minecraft, players can use Sugar Cane x 3 at a crafting table to produce Paper x 3. Sugar cane will grow naturally near water and have a much higher chance of spawning in swamp and desert biomes. However, deserts lack bodies of water, which makes finding sugar cane in the biome much rarer.
If players wish to let sugar cane grow back after being harvested, they must make sure that the bottom block is left alone. After collecting enough sugar cane, players can craft paper, which they can then use in the following recipes. Please note that these recipes are for Minecraft Java Edition.
- Firework Rocket: Paper x 1 and Gunpowder x 3
- Empty Map: Paper x 8 and Compass x 1
- Cartography Table: Paper x 2 and Wooden Planks x 4
- Book: Paper x 3 and Leather x 1
- Banner Pattern Creeper: Paper x 1 and Creeper Head x 1
- Banner Pattern Flower: Paper x 1 and Oxeye Daisy x 1
- Banner Pattern Skull: Paper x 1 and Wither Skeleton Skull x 1
- Banner Pattern Thing: Paper 1 and Enchanted Golden Apple x 1
Minecraft is available on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox One X|S, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS.