Players of the popular team-based shooter game Overwatch 2 face a frustrating issue where they cannot access the game due to a persistent error message showing “Applying Update.” This issue has confused players, and even after restarting the game, the problem persists. While there are potential reasons for encountering this error, such as ongoing or missed updates, this article explores the issue of being stuck at “Playing Now” and “Applying Update” errors in Overwatch 2.
Why is Overwatch 2 Stuck at “Playing Now”?
Despite its release several months ago, Overwatch 2 still faces bugs and errors affecting players’ experience. One of the most recent issues that players have encountered is an error message that appears as “Overwatch 2 Applying Update”. Unfortunately, waiting for an extended time does not resolve the error, leaving players confused and unable to access the game.
Here are some possible solutions to try:
- Restart the game: Close Overwatch 2 entirely and relaunch it to see if the update progresses or starts properly.
- Check your internet connection: Ensure that your internet connection is stable and working properly.
- Disable any firewalls or antivirus: Temporarily disable any firewalls or antivirus software blocking the game’s update process.
- Verify game files: If you’re playing Overwatch 2 on a PC, you can use the game launcher or platform (such as Steam or Battle.net) to verify the integrity of the game files. This process checks for any missing or corrupted files and replaces them.
- Reinstall the game: If all else fails, try reinstalling Overwatch 2.
Players typically encounter the “Applying Update” error when Blizzard Entertainment releases an update. It indicates that changes are being made to the game, requiring a temporary halt to gameplay. Additionally, players may encounter the error if they have not logged in since a new update was released, as the game needs to apply the latest changes before allowing access.