Rotom is one of the most unique Electric-type Pokemon you can get in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Its dual Ghost/Electric-typing gives it total immunity against Normal, Fighting, and Ground moves. It also can learn a plethora of status-inducing moves to put a wrench into your opponents’ strategy. Plus, it can transform into five various special forms! YouTuber Pokemon Archive has made video guides on how to catch a Rotom and unlock the transformations in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Watch the video below.
Where to Find Rotom
To find Rotom in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, you have to complete the Sinnoh Pokedex first by seeing one of every Pokemon. You don’t have to catch’em all, so you should be able to complete it by playing normally along with trading a number of version-exclusive Pokemon. To get the Pokedex entry of Dialga or Palkia easily, you can speak to Cynthia’s grandmother in Celestic Town and she’ll show you one of them.
Once the Sinnoh Pokedex has been dealt with, you will need to head to the Old Chateau at night. Here is the simple step-by-step guide:
- Go to Eterna Forest at night and head into the Old Chateau.
- Climb the stairs and enter the middle room.
- Go to the left and enter the second room. You will find a TV with a static screen inside.
- Interact with the TV and pick Yes to thump the TV.
- Rotom will then jump out of the TV. Go catch it.
How to Change Rotom’s Form
Somewhat similar to Genesect, Arceus, or even Wormadam, Rotom can transform between five forms all with different types:
- Normal form: Electric/Ghost-Type.
- Possessing a microwave oven, Heat Rotom: Electric/Fire-Type.
- Possessing a washing machine, Wash Rotom: Electric/Water-Type.
- Possessing a refrigerator, Frost Rotom: Electric/Ice-type.
- Possessing an electric fan, Fan Rotom: Electric/Flying-type.
- Possessing a lawnmower, Mow Rotom: Electric/Grass-type.
After you capture/defeat Rotom in Old Chateau, you will get the Secret Key item. It’s needed to unlock a special room to transform the Ghost Pokemon. Here’s how you can change Rotom’s form:
- Go to the Galactic HQ in Eterna City with the Secret Key.
- Head to the bottom floor. Then walk all the way to the top-left part of the room until you find a hidden door.
- Once you interact with it, it will reveal a new room.
- Head inside. You should see the electronic appliances mentioned above.
- You should interact with all of the appliances. This way, all of the Rotom forms will be added to the Rotom Catalogue item, letting you quickly change between Rotom’s forms without having to come back to Galactic HQ.
Both Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl are available now on the Nintendo Switch.