You got Mario Kart in my Rocket League! Today sees a huge content update for Rocket League, with the bizarre “Rumble Mode” making its debut. For those not in the know, Rumble is a new, casual Rocket League mode that introduces offensive and defensive powerups into the standard game. Check out the trailer for it below to get a sense of things:
Looks crazy, right? Here’s the list of powerups you can pick up in Rumble Mode:
- The Boot – Kicks your opponent
- Disrupter – Messes with the opponent’s ability to drive
- Freezer – Freezes the ball in place, including in midair
- Grappling Hook – Pulls you towards the ball
- Haymaker – Punches the ball
- Magnetizer – Pulls the ball towards you
- Plunger – Reaches out and grabs the ball
- Power Hitter – Puts some extra muscle on everything you run into
- Spike – Attaches the ball to your car
- Swapper – Trades spots with another car
- Tornado – Creates a giant whirlwind that sucks up other cars and the ball
Again, Rumble Mode will be available in casual mode only. Today’s Rocket League update is a big one; in addition to Rumble Mode, several other features are on the way. The other big one, and probably the most divisive, is the addition of crates and keys to Rocket League.
Crates and keys can be kind of a sore point with gamers. Some games, such as Valve’s Dota 2 and Counter-Strike, have created thriving economies from their in-game items. This is despite the fact that the items obtained in crates are purely cosmetic. Rocket League is going that route. Players will be able to trade items (also an addition this update), but none of those items will effect handling, speed, or give players an advantage. Developer Psyonix hopes to better fund the eSports scene with profits made from selling crates and keys.
Besides the new mode and the addition of crates and keys, a few other additions are on the way with today’s update. You can expect to see:
- Tweaks to item drop formulas
- New variations of existing stadiums
- New items
- SteamOS and Mac support
- Party Chat
- Customizable car presets
Rev those engines and fuel up your jet boosters. Rocket League‘s Rumble update releases today.
Excited to hit the pitch and knock your opponents around? Ready to open some crates? Let us know in the comments below!