We love us some Telltale Games here at The Nerd Stash, and they recently dropped some details on their upcoming Batman interpretation at the SXSW convention. They did not give an exact date, but the first episode is scheduled to release this summer. In a recent blog post, Telltale also summarized their SXSW panel with some other details about the Dark Knight’s upcoming adventure.
- Telltale feels that Batman is the “perfect character” for their unique style of morality and storytelling. An important mechanic in their upcoming game is the Bruce Wayne/Batman dynamic, and players will be able to choose to approach certain situations as either one, with branching results.
- The game will not be tied to any existing storyline or version of the character, but it will be set in modern times. They don’t rule out the sidekicks entirely, but Telltale states that the series is focusing on Batman/Bruce Wayne (sorry Robin fans!). Familiar characters popping up will include Alfred Pennyworth, James Gordon, Vicki Vale, and Renee Montoya. No villain has been announced yet, but it would be tough to imagine the Joker being left out.
- Your actions will have a chance to set certain characters towards good or evil.
- As is common with Telltale, the game will be nonphotorealistic. It will develop its artistic style from classic comic artists such as Jim Lee, Greg Capullo, and Neal Adams.
- The game will be rated Mature (17+), like many other Telltale games. They have compared the approach to that of an R-Rated film.
The same creative team behind Tales from the Borderlands and The Wolf Among Us are developing this title, so we can expect a solid script to accompany Batman. Stay tuned for more details on this game as they are announced.
Excited for Telltale’s version of Gotham City? What villains do you want to battle? Let us know!