Netflix has announced a slate of true crime series coming to the platform coming this year and premiering through 2022. The news comes from Adam Del Deo (VP, Documentary Series) and Lisa Nishimura (VP, Documentary and Independent Films). Leading the charge is the Netflix darling that captured everyone’s attention at the beginning of the pandemic, Tiger King 2. Releasing throughout 2022 are The Puppet Master: Hunting the Ultimate Conman, The Tinder Swindler, Trust No One: The Hunt for the Crypto King, and Bad Vegan.
Reality is Stranger than Fiction
Tiger King 2 – 2021
- The global hit Tiger King, which attracted 64 million households in the first four weeks after its March 2020 premiere, will return to Netflix for Tiger King 2.
- Directors: Eric Goode, Rebecca Chaiklin
- Executive Producers: Chris Smith, Fisher Stevens, Eric Goode, Rebecca Chaiklin
- Production Company: A Goode Films Production in association with Library Films and Article 19 Films
The Puppet Master: Hunting the Ultimate Conman – January 2022
- Description: From the acclaimed filmmakers behind The Imposter, this three-part series tells the jaw-dropping story of one of the world’s most audacious conmen who was convicted in 2005 for stealing fortunes and destroying multiple lives. But now, in an incredible twist, the story reaches into the present day, with a desperate family who fears for their mother’s safety.
- Directors: Sam Benstead, Gareth Johnson
- Executive Producers: Bart Layton, Rebecca North
- Production Company: RAW
The Tinder Swindler – February 2022
- Description: The Tinder Swindler tells the jaw-dropping story of a prolific conman who posed as a billionaire playboy on Tinder, and the women who set out to bring him down.
- Director: Felicity Morris
- Executive Producers: Bart Layton and Sam Starbuck for RAW; Jeff Gaspin and Eric Levy for Gaspin Media; Stuart Ford and Lourdes Diaz for AGC Studios
- Production Company: RAW
Trust No One: The Hunt for the Crypto King – 2022
- Description: Follow a group of investors turned sleuths as they try to unlock the suspicious death of cryptocurrency multimillionaire Gerry Cotten and the missing $250 million they believe he stole from them.
- Director: Luke Sewell
- Executive Producers: Sophie Jones, Morgan Matthews
- Production Company: Minnow Films
Bad Vegan – 2022
- Description: Celebrity restaurateur Sarma Melngailis becomes the “Vegan Fugitive” when she’s conned out of millions by a man who convinces her that he can expand her food empire and make her beloved pit bull immortal — as long as she never questions his increasingly bizarre requests.
It’s clear that Netflix is going full steam ahead in regards to their true crime series. True crime continues to fascinate the general topic and is a very popular genre for documentaries, editorials, non-fiction books, and podcasts alike. It will be interesting to catch up with the Tiger King crew and see where they’re at after our last visit in 2020. At the time of this writing, Joe Exotic remains in prison on charges of murder for hire and animal abuse.