Developer Frozenbyte and indie video game publisher Modus Games have released the first gameplay details for Trine 4 along with a new trailer. Fans of the first two games in the franchise will be happy to hear that the series is confirmed to be returning to 2.5D style platforming. The third game in the series, Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power was played from a fully 3D perspective, and this was a disappointment to many fans. It seems the developer took the complaints to heart with this return to form for Trine 4.
Titled Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince, the game follows series stalwarts Amadeus, Pontius, and Zoya as they try to find Prince Selius, whose intensely dark nightmares are now becoming reality and threaten to wreak havoc on the waking world. You can check out the official word on the game below.
“Featuring an all-new story that reunites Amadeus, Pontius, and Zoya, Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince returns to the magic of 2.5D with the puzzle-platforming gameplay that defined a genre in Trine 1 and 2. Play as the three iconic heroes in the most extensive Trine adventure yet, complete with stunning new environments and dynamic, physics-based puzzles that fans have grown to know and love.
After years apart, the Astral Academy has requested help from the three heroes to find Prince Selius, whose intensely dark nightmares have begun to slip into reality and wreak havoc on the waking world. Encounter more epic boss fights than ever before, solve fascinating puzzles, unlock new skills, explore lush, vibrant landscapes, and experience a hauntingly beautiful new soundtrack by the composer of Trine 1-3. Additionally, and for the first time ever, Trine adds four-player co-op to its feature list.” – Frozenbyte
- Gorgeous, 2.5D landscapes. Explore uniquely designed levels in beautiful, 2.5 dimensions, from breathtaking ruins and haunted tombs to tranquil birch groves and blueberry forests.
- Local and online multiplayer. Play with up to 4 players online or in local co-op.
- Captivating storytelling. Follow the story of a haunted prince as you journey through magical fairytale landscapes inhabited by friendly creatures, as well as a host of nightmarish foes.
- Dynamic puzzle-solving. Solve puzzles – solo or with friends – that feature fire, air, light, magnets, electricity and more, with challenges tailored to the number of players.
- Abundant skill trees. Unlock diverse abilities and amazing new skills.
- Completely revamped combat system. Experience the heroes’ own bloodcurdling nightmares in boss fights featuring an enriched combat system with fresh challenges and thrilling action!
- Enchanting soundtrack. Enjoy a wondrous soundtrack with songs that bring life to each new environment.
Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince will be coming to PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Steam, Discord and other PC platforms at an unannounced date sometime this Fall.
Brian Cowan loves playing video games, football, Magic, and pretty much anything else that he can use as an excuse to waste time. When he is not doing the above or working, he is usually writing or reading.