Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was undoubtedly one of the many classic games to grace the Nintendo 64. Since the initial launch of the Nintendo Switch, fans have pined for a virtual console on Nintendo’s newest console. The only answer Nintendo has given has been the less than pleasing Nintendo Switch Online Classics.
Finally, new hope has emerged. In contrast from before, Nintendo has announced the release of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter for Nintendo Switch. The announcement seemingly came from nowhere as Turok was only ever re-released as a remaster for the PC. You can see the announcement trailer down below:
While the official description sounds like it was taken from the booklet included with the game cartridge, no mention is made of Turok being a Nintendo 64 title. Unfortunately, there is no confirmation if there are more Nintendo 64 titles on the way to the Switch.
The description on the official page can’t help but make the reader feel nostalgic:
- Completely 3-D Virtual World
- Run, jump, climb in any direction in a fully 3D world, with the ability to independently look and aim your weapons up, down, or sideways.
- Intelligent Enemies Programmed for Ferocity
- Variable aggression profiles make each enemy behave uniquely.
- 14 Monstrous High-tech Weapons
- From the Grenade Launcher, Plasma Pulse Rifle, and Alien Weapon, to the Quad Rocket Launcher and, the mother of all guns, the Atomic Fusion Cannon!
- Advanced Interactive Backgrounds with Particle Technology
- Cobwebs sway. Bubbles form rings on the water’s surface. Bullets ricochet. Trees explode into flames and crash to the ground. Waterfalls boil with foam.
- Bionically Engineered Dinosaurs
- Razor-toothed Raptors. Artillery-packing Triceratops. Alien Infantry and a Laser-Guided T-Rex. Following your every move with head-tracking technology.
As a result, the news of Turok’s release on the Switch seems to signal the beginning of Nintendo 64 titles on the Switch. Super Mario 64 anyone?
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter will release March 18th, 2019 on Nintendo Switch.
So will you be downloading Turok and reliving days of old? Or are you going to give this title a hard pass? Either way, let us know in the comments below!
Andrew is an aspiring writer currently located in Denver, Colorado. When he is not writing he can be found, gaming, singing, taking pictures, spending time with his cats, or on an adventure with his other half. He is a self-proclaimed master at all things Nintendo and an avid coffee drinker.