In Valheim, Moder is the fourth boss you will encounter and takes the form of a colossal ice dragon. Luckily, as with the other boss encounters, Moder is relatively predictable. With the right knowledge, you’ll easily clear this fight and unlock a useful sailing-related Forsaken Power.
What You’ll Need
- A ranged weapon (we recommend at least the Huntsman bow)
- Megingjord (for carrying Dragon eggs)
- High-level food (we recommend Serpent stew, sausages, and Lox meat)
- Strong armor (we recommend at least Iron)
- Wolf fur cape (to allow you to ascend the mountain)
- Healing mead (Minor or Medium)
How to Find and Summon Moder
Moder’s rune will appear in the Mountain biome. It will be housed in a stone tower and will appear, as the others do, as a stone with red rune markings on its face. Once you interact with it, Moder’s location will be marked on your map.
Before you head to the summoning location, make sure to collect 3 Dragon eggs. They are found in nests along the Mountain and have a pinkish glow to them. They weigh a lot (200 kg), so you will only be able to carry a maximum of 2 at a time if you have Megingjord.
Place 3 Dragon eggs at the altar to begin the fight.
Tips for Beating Moder
- Build a Shelter with a Campfire near Moder. You can use this to gain the Rested status effect and boost your stamina and health regeneration.
- Use the natural terrain to your advantage. Moder is large and will have trouble maneuvering around the area. The nearby obstacles will help you kite her.
- Be careful not to pull other mobs. There are plenty of Drakes and Wolves in the area. These will make the fight more difficult than it needs to be; keep an eye out for them. Clear them before you start the fight.
- Consider using ranged attacks during both phases. While she is flying, pelt her with a barrage of arrows to get the most damage possible. Even when she lands, ranged attacks are still a great option. You can use the trees and rocks nearby to kite her.
- Build a Portal nearby in case. Using this guide, you should be successful but prepare for the worst and build a portal to help you recover your items if you mess up.
Rewards from Moder
Moder drops the Moder trophy which allows you to unlock her Forsaken Power. This power grants you the ability to always have the wind at your back while using a boat. This is particularly useful for exploring new lands and ferrying ore back to your main camp.
Other Valheim Guides
That’s it, that’s all. Once you’ve read this guide, you’re prepared to take on Moder in Valheim. Don’t worry, if you come well equipped, you’re going to succeed. If you have any suggestions for how to beat Moder, please leave them in the comments below. Otherwise, share this guide around to help others!