Close Menu
  • Gaming
    • Platforms
      • Nintendo
      • PC
      • PlayStation
      • Xbox
  • Entertainment
    • Movies
    • TV
    • Royals
  • Celebrity
    • Hollywood
  • Human Interest
  • Astrology
  • More
    • Anime
    • Reviews
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram LinkedIn YouTube
  • About Us
  • Join Our Team
  • Meet the Team
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Use
  • Sitemap
  • Editorial Guidelines
  • Advertising Policy
The Nerd Stash
  • Gaming
  • Celebrity
  • Hollywood
  • Human Interest
The Nerd Stash
Home»Gaming»PlayStation Plus Prices Are Going Up as Sony Tightens First-Party Exclusives Once More

PlayStation Plus Prices Are Going Up as Sony Tightens First-Party Exclusives Once More

A double whammy from Sony

Sidharta F. RasidiBy Sidharta F. RasidiMay 18, 20262 Mins Read
PlayStation Plus Prices Are Going Up as Sony Tightens First-Party Exclusives
Image source: PlayStation via The Nerd Stash

After last year’s rumors that PlayStation was ready to ditch PC ports for its biggest games, Sony has finally come forward and confirmed the uncomfortable truth. Yes, PlayStation Studios Business Group CEO Hermen Hulst reportedly told staff that its ‘narrative single-player’ games are staying home on PlayStation. And if that bit of bad news wasn’t enough, Sony also announced that PlayStation Plus subscription prices are going up by as much as $3 starting May 20.

On X, Sony confirms that PlayStation Plus Essential subscription prices will be increased starting May 20 due to ‘ongoing market conditions.’ The first time since the 2023 controversial price hike. For new subscribers, the 1-month plan will now start at $10.99, while the 3-month subscription jumps to $27.99. Sony has not confirmed whether existing subscribers are immediately affected, but it marks another increase amid the gaming industry’s recent wave of price hikes. Below is the current comparison between the old and the updated PlayStation Plus pricing:

PlayStation PlusBeforeNew PriceIncrease
1-Month$9.99$10.99+$1.00
3-Month$24.99$27.99+$3.00

At the same time, a new scoop from Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier now confirms that Sony is going all-in on PlayStation exclusivity. Last year, we reported rumors about the company ‘scrapping’ PC ports of Ghost of Yotei and the upcoming Marvel’s Wolverine. Today, CEO Hermen Hulst reportedly told staff during a company town hall meeting that its first-party single-player games will remain PlayStation exclusive.

Wolverine Game Creative Director
Image Source: Insomniac Games

While Schreier did not specify the exact reasoning behind the decision, the explanation may be fairly simple. Reports suggest many PlayStation PC ports arrived too late to capitalize on launch hype, generating smaller returns compared to Sony’s own digital storefront. Xbox’s rumored Project Helix might also have played a role. As reportedly some PlayStation executives were ‘not thrilled’ about seeing franchises like God of War appear on rival platforms.

Shuhei Yoshida Says He Was Fired From Playstation Studios for Saying ‘No’ to Jim Ryan: ‘He Asked For Ridiculous Things’
Related: Shuhei Yoshida Says He Was Fired From Playstation Studios for Saying ‘No’ to Jim Ryan: ‘He Asked For Ridiculous Things’

Still, not everything is shutting down. Multiplayer-focused games, including Arc System Works’ fighting game Marvel Tokon, are still expected to launch across PlayStation and PC. Third-party or externally developed projects like Kena: Scars of Kosmora may also still be given more flexibility in terms of platform.

For better or worse, Sony appears to be going back to the basics of selling a console. Lock down the anticipated exclusives and keep players in the PlayStation ecosystem — while charging a little more along the way.

Related Topics
playstation Sony
Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Email
Sidharta F. Rasidi
  • Website

An ordinary Indonesian who enjoys playing and talking about video games. His favorite games are Monster Hunter: World, Space Invader Extreme 2, THE iDOLM@STER SP, Road Trip Adventure, Halo series, and KOEI Tecmo's Warriors series.

SUGGESTED READS

Marvel Cosmic Invasion DLC Review
Features

Marvel Cosmic Invasion: Cyclops & The Thing Hands-On Impressions – Between a Rock and an Optic Blast

GTA 6's $115 Price Tag Already Has Fans Worried, Now Rockstar Might Skip Review Codes Too
Gaming

GTA 6’s $115 Price Tag Already Has Fans Worried, Now Rockstar Might Skip Review Codes Too

AMD's 'AI-Based' Game Engine Patent Sounds Like DLSS5 on Steroids
Gaming

AMD’s ‘AI-Based’ Game Engine Patent Sounds Like DLSS5 on Steroids

Marvel Rivals Season 8
Features

Marvel Rivals Season 8 Hands-On Previews – Vanguards Are Back

Order of the Sinking Star Interview
Features

We Spoke to Order of the Sinking Star Creator Jonathan Blow on Puzzles and Narrative, Fast Paced vs Methodical Audiences and More

Forza Horizon 6 All Treasure Cars Guide
Gaming

All Treasure Cars in Forza Horizon 6

The Nerd Stash
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube LinkedIn
  • About Us
  • Join Our Team
  • Meet the Team
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Use
  • Sitemap
  • Editorial Guidelines
  • Advertising Policy
© 2026 The Nerd Stash. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.