The huge update for Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, entitled Afterbirth, will be hitting Steam on October 30th. It is being touted as “mega DLC” that will add “100+ hours to the game.” Considering Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is procedural generated and unflinchingly difficult, it is unlikely that most players have seen everything the game has to offer to begin with. Check out the trailer for Afterbirth below, along with some of the features that will be coming with it:
- A new game mode called Greed Mode, featuring “a heavy focus on risk/reward” and featuring a new end boss and endings.
- A new final area to the main game, including a new final boss and ending
- Daily Challenges – compete on leader boards during daily seeded runs
- New challenges and room combinations
- A new playable character: Lilith, mother of demons
- New bosses and enemies
- 100+ new items
- More achievements
- An updated soundtrack
…And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. McMillen even writes in the blog post that he may be forgetting features to tell us about because of “all the crap that we threw into this little monster.” The cost for Afterbirth is currently set at $9.99, but the post also claims that there will be a solid discount for those who preorder. Only the PC version of the Afterbirth update is being released on October 30, console gamers will still have to wait for the news on the update. The blog post claims that news on that front “can’t be too far off.”
Binding of Isaac and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth have shows some excellent longevity on Steam and Twitch, and Afterbirth looks like it will only improve on the formula. Excited to try out the new features? Still playing Binding of Isaac: Rebirth or ready to jump back in with Afterbirth? Let us know!