Critical Role has launched the first episode of their previously teased documentary series. It centers on the production process of their animated series, The Legend of Vox Machina. This announcement came along with their list of writers for the series which included many big names. They also titled the series in traditional good-humored fashion, The Legend of the Story of The Legend of Vox Machina.
This series is based on their live-streamed Dungeons and Dragons campaign. It was funded through Kickstarter initially as a one-episode special, but after shooting past their $750,000 goal to reach $11 Million, it became a full animated series. After that, Amazon Prime quickly picked it up to purchase a second season and add their support.
The writing team includes:
- Brandon Auman – Writer and Executive Producer – of Star Wars Resistance and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- Eugene Son – Writer and Story Editor – of Avengers Assemble and Ben 10.
- Ashley Burch – Emmy Award winner – of Adventure Time.
- Jennifer Muro of Star Wars: Forces of Destiny and Justice League Action.
- March Bernardin – WGA Award winner – of Castle Rock and Carnival Row.
- Chris ‘Doc’ Wyatt – Independent Spirit Award nominee and Emmy Award nominee – of Star Wars Resistance and Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man.
- Kevin Burke of Star Wars Resistance and Marvel’s Rocket & Groot.
- Daniel Thomsen of Westworld
- Mae Catt of Transformers: Cyberverse and Marvel Rising.
- Meredith Kecskemetry – Writer’s Assistant – of Niko and the Sword of Light.
The first episode of the Critical Role series talked about this initial stage of developing a story. Viewers got to hear from the writers on their vision and the process, as well as from Dungeon Master Matthew Mercer. They discussed the complexity of taking such a long-form show (each episode is three to five hours) and breaking it down into a television series. They also promised some interesting new directions and surprises for long-time fans.