Grand Theft Auto V and its GTA Online counterpart are once again re-released for current generation consoles — now the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. This new version provides improved graphics, HDR options, ray tracing, faster loading times, and cross-progression and crossplay functionality between PS4 and PS5 or Xbox One and Series X. Despite the confirmation of GTA 6 development, this game is still pretty popular among gamers, prompting Rockstar Games to port it to the new consoles. For those of you who want to experience Los Santos in new graphical fidelity, here’s how you can migrate your GTA V and Online character from the previous console gen to current-gen.
How to Migrate Your GTA Online Character to PS5 and Xbox Series X
To be able to migrate your GTA Online data from PS4 or Xbox One to PS5 or Xbox Series X, both your old and new-gen accounts have to share the same Rockstar Social Club account. Then you have to make sure that you own the GTA V Expanded and Enhanced version on your next-gen console — which is a completely separate product from the PS4 or Xbox One version of GTA V. Unfortunately, this isn’t a free upgrade:
- For the first three months until June 14, 2022, the Expanded and Enhanced version costs $9.99 on PS5 and $19.99 on Xbox Series X.
- After June 14, it will be priced at $39.99.
After you (again) bought the new-gen version of GTA V, now you can finally migrate your GTA Online characters to the next-gen (again). Below are the steps:
- Log in to GTA Online on your PS5 or Xbox Series X.
- A “Migrate Profile” popup should appear if your console accounts share the same Rockstar Social Club account.
- Choose the console profile from the previous generation you want to import.
- You can only move one account at a time. If you have multiple profiles (having profiles for both PS4 and Xbox One, for example), you must select only one. You can’t merge accounts either.
- Note that the profile migration cannot be undone or repeated. Moving your GTA profile from PS4 or Xbox One to a PS5 or Xbox Series X will remove any data from the PS4 or Xbox One.
- After choosing the profile, you’ll receive a notification to ensure you’re transferring the correct one. Read it carefully.
- Do not close GTA Online or turn off your console while profile transfer is in progress, or your save data could be corrupted. Simply wait patiently until it’s finished. It might take a bit longer if Rockstar’s server is busy.
- At this point, you can continue where you left off or create a new character to try out the new GTA Online Career Builder.
- You also can import profiles to a different console platform. For example, if you played on PS4 you can move your GTA Online characters to Xbox Series X.
- However, keep in mind that cross-console migration will not carry over any GTA Online dollars from Shark Cards you’ve paid for with real money.
- Moving to the same console family (PS4 to PS5) though will transfer all of your microtransaction money.
- You cannot import PC profiles to PS5 or Xbox Series X.
GTA Online Migration – Black Screen Issue Fix
People on the internet have reported that they encountered “endless black screen” when migrating their GTA Online profile to PS5 or Xbox Series X. However, as mentioned above, it seems it’s only caused when the Rockstar server’s traffic is overcrowded by GTA Online players and people who’re also trying to migrate their profiles. Just be patient and wait until the process is complete.
The issue blocking GTA Online profile migration of PS4 and Xbox One accounts that were previously migrated to PC has been addressed, and that migration is now working as intended.
Please note that GTA Online profiles on PC cannot be migrated to PS5 or Xbox Series X|S.
— Rockstar Support (@RockstarSupport) March 15, 2022
How to Migrate Your GTA V Offline Character to PS5 and Xbox Series X
If you need to transfer your Story Mode progress to new-gen consoles, the process is even simpler:
- Open GTA V Story Mode on PS4 or Xbox One.
- Open the Pause menu.
- Pick the Game tab and choose the Upload Save Game option at the bottom. You can only pick a single save file.
- Then turn on your PS5 or Xbox Series X.
- Pick the Resume Story under the Story tab.
- You should see the Download Save Game Data option.
- Just like GTA Online migration, you can only import a save data once.