If you’re a fan of the ocean in Minecraft, then embellishing your armor set with the Tide Armor Trim Smithing Template might be for you. Typically, Armor Trims are discovered within the Treasure Chests of specific structures, such as Shipwrecks, Desert Temples, Strongholds, or Ancient Cities. However, the Tide Armor is only obtainable as a rare Mob Loot drop from a specific creature found in Ocean Monuments.
Tide Armor Trim Location in Minecraft
To find the Tide Armor Trim in Minecraft 1.20, you must hunt down the Elder Guardian, the “plus-size” version of the hostile Guardians patrolling Ocean Monuments. Their size and color aren’t the only differences. Elder Guardians possess over twice as much HP and deal more damage, making them tough opponents to take down. Additionally, you’re fighting these big chaps underwater, doubling the challenge of combat.
Another critical thing to note is that an Elder Guardian’s drop rate of the Minecraft Tide Armor Trim isn’t guaranteed. In fact, you only have a 20% chance of getting the Mob Loot when an Elder Guardian dies. Fortunately, Ocean Monuments always spawn three elders in every structure, but that doesn’t make the obtainment process any easier (or less annoying). Keep in mind that the Looting Enchantment has no effect on the drop rate of this Armor Trim. That said, you’re at the whims of Minecraft‘s RNG when farming Elder Guardians for a Tide Armor Trim drop.
Unless you’ve managed to stumble upon the Guardians’ underwater lairs by chance, here are the steps to help you locate an Ocean Monument:
- Purchase an Ocean Explorer Map from an Apprentice-Level Cartographer. If you can’t find one, use a Cartography Table to force a Villager into Cartography servitude.
- The trade will cost 13 Emeralds and a Compass made from Iron Ingots and Redstone. Emeralds are primarily obtainable via Villager Trading.
- Equip the Ocean Explorer Map and make your way to the designated Ocean Monument.
- The three Elder Guardians will generally spawn in the three respective sections of the temple. In other words, you likely won’t find them near each other.
Once you encounter one of the elders, use any nearby pillars in the boss room to avoid their ranged beam attacks. If you plan on using a sword instead of a bow, note that the enemy has spikes to retaliate melee attacks.
To summarize, here’s a rundown of how you can get Tide Armor Trims in Minecraft 1.20:
- Use an Ocean Explorer Map to find an Ocean Monument or discover one by chance.
- Kill the monument’s Elder Guardians for a 20% chance to get their rare drop.
- Needless to say, you might need to locate multiple Ocean Monuments before an elder drops the Trim.
If you’re curious how other Smithing Templates are acquired in 1.20, here’s a video by YouTuber Wattles: