Pokemon’s Friendship level is one of the returning features from the original Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Newcomers to the series (or veterans who might’ve forgotten or skipped Generation IV) might be wondering about the function of the feature. Well, without further ado, here’s what Friendship level for Pokemon does and how can you check it in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl: How to Check Friendship Level
There are two ways to check your Pokemon Friendship level in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. The first (and the fastest/easiest way) is by using the Friendship Checker App on the Pokétch, and the second is by talking to the Friendship Raters NPC scattered all over Sinnoh.
To get the Pokétch app, of course, you have to already get Pokétch from a man in Jubilife City. Then go to the Pokemon Center in Eterna City and speak with the brown-haired woman in the middle of the room. And she will hand you the Friendship Checker app. To check your team’s Friendship level simply open the app and press A over each Pokemon. They will cry and hearts will appear over their head:
- 0 heart: Friendship is at neutral.
- 1 heart: Pokemon is familiar with you.
- 2 heart: Friendship level is at maximum.
Meanwhile, Friendship Raters are located at:
- Eterna City’s Pokemon Center.
- Hearthome City‘s Pokemon Fan Club.
- And Dr. Footsteps‘s House in the western part of Route 213.
How to Increase/Decrease Friendship Level
There are several ways to increase your Pokemon’s Friendship level in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl:
- Walking with your Pokemon. The easiest way to increase Friendship is by letting them out of their Pokeball once in a while and walking around behind you.
- Let them hold Soothe Bell.
- Catch a Pokemon with Luxury Ball. You can buy Luxury Ball for 1,000 Pokedollars from Sunyshore City’s Poke Mart or at the Pokemon League.
- Give them a massage. Once per day, you can give your Pokemon massages by talking with the Massage Girl in Veilstone City or going to the spa at the Ribbon Syndicate in Resort Area (you will need to collect 10 Ribbons first).
- Feed them Vitamins. Using Vitamins will also increase their base stats. Buy them from the Veilstone City Department Store for 9,800 Pokedollars each or exchange them for 1 BP (or 10 for PP Up) at the Battle Tower.
- HP UP: Increase max HP.
- Protein: Increase Attack.
- Iron: Increase Defense.
- Calcium: Increase Special Attack.
- Zinc: Increase Special Defense.
- Carbos: Increase Speed.
- PP Up: Increase max PP of one move.
- Feed them Berries. Although, Berries will reduce your Pokemon’s EVs. With that in mind, only use them when you also want to reset unwanted EVs.
- Pomeg Berry: Lowers HP.
- Kelpsy Berry: Lowers Attack.
- Qualot Berry: Lowers Defense.
- Hondew Berry: Lowers Special Attack.
- Grepa Berry: Lowers Special Defense.
- Tamato Berry: Lowers Speed.
However, keep in mind that Friendship level can also be decreased from:
- Fainting in battle.
- Giving them Herbs. Yeah, although Herbs are a cheaper healing alternative than Potions and the likes, apparently Pokemon hate their taste.
What Friendship Level Does in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl
Some Pokemon can only evolve once they have max Friendship level. Here’s a list of Pokemon that evolve with high Friendship:
- Azurill > Marril
- Budew > Roselia (at day)
- Buneary > Lopunny
- Chansey > Blissey
- Chingling > Chimecho (at night)
- Cleffa > Clefairy
- Eevee > Espeon (at day)
- Eevee > Umbreon (at night)
- Golbat > Crobat
- Munchlax > Snorlax
- Pichu > Pikachu
- Riolu > Lucario (at day)
- Togepi > Togetic
Aside from being used for evolving, high Friendship can also improve your Pokemon performances in battle. Such as an increase in critical hits rate, holding on to 1 HP, or even healing its own status condition.
Both Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl are available now on the Nintendo Switch.