The 2nd annual Playstation Experience kicked off on Saturday, in California, with a 2-hour keynote address from numerous developers. Hosted developers included the likes of Double Fine, Gearbox, Capcom, Sony and more.
To get things started, viewers were treated to a short cinematic from Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. It appears as though it could be the opening scene, bringing Nathan’s brother Sam into the mix. There was no gameplay, but it was enough to get the crowd excited.
Up next, was a closer look at the Final Fantasy VII: Remake. After a brief introduction from the developers, a gameplay trailer was shown, and boy does it look pretty! I have not gone back to play FFVII in a very long time, but it almost looks like a completely different game here.
While I’m not personally a big fighting game fan, the Street Fighter V announcements were my favourite, strictly because of the way the game’s producer, Yoshinori Ono, approached it. F.A.N.G. is newest SFV character, Ono pointed out after the trailer reveal that he was extra excited about this one, because it was the first SFV fighter to not be revealed from an online leak. In addition to F.A.N.G., six characters will be revealed in SFV in the first year after launch. All new fighters can be earned for free, or purchased as a season pass starting today on PSN.
Here are some quick hints and information drops from the PlayStation Experience Keynote:
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3‘s first map pack Awakening will be released in early 2016 on PS4, 30 days earlier than any other platform
- Gearbox Software‘s Randy Pitchford introduced a new Battleborn character, Toby. As Pitchford put it on stage “Toby is a penguin, in a mech suit, Toby is bad-ass.” The game will have an open beta on PS4, and will include couch co-op with a full campaign as well.
- Toby – Battleborn’s Newest “Bad Ass”
- 6 Adult Swim games coming in 2016, including a Double Fine game, called Head Lander.
- Double Fine showed off a new trailer for Day of the Tentacle Remastered and announced that Full Throttle Remastered will be released in 2016 for Playstation platforms.
- Psychonauts Rhombus of Ruin is a new, stand-alone game for PlayStation VR from Double Fine
- Hitman GO, Don’t Starve Together, and Yakuza Zero will be out on PS4 in 2016.
- SNK will bring their next fighting game, The King of Fighter XIV exclusively to PS4.
- Nioh is an exclusive Playstation game from Team Ninja. The trailer shown gives it a dark and violent feel and looks like a mix between Ninja Gaiden & Bloodborne.
- Playstation VR games announced, including Modern Taxi, & Golem, and 100ft Robot Golf (it’s exactly what it sounds like)
- Nino Kuni 2 exclusive to PS4
- Destiny will have its own racing event. Sparrow Racing League kicks off Dec 8th and will have players race their way through Mars and Venus for new Sparrows, and exclusive loot drops
Finally, there was a big announcement from Epic Games. Paragon is the newest game to enter the MOBA arena, and this one will be available for PC and PS4 in 2016, with beta sign ups currently available. Check out the announcement trailer below.
The Playstation Experience will be going on throughout the weekend with numerous interviews and panels available to be streamed online. As more news break and the 2016 Playstation schedule unfolds, we’ll have more right here at The Nerd Stash!