Finally, after months of teases, rumored release dates, and unanswered questions on when we would officially see Blood and Wine, we have an official release date. Blood and Wine the second and final expansion of The Witcher 3 will be released on May 30th, a week before the rumored June 7th date and the cherry on top of an already stacked month. CD Project Red announced the DLC after the preorders were leaked onto Steam. Fortunately, the leak was screen capped and tweeted by Wario64.
The listing is now up on steam if you care to take a look for yourself. Blood and Wine has Geralt of Rivia traveling to the often spoke of land of Toussaint. A gorgeous society full of citizens fueled by gluttony and narcissism. Toussaint is where the wealthy retire.
Taken from the Features list on the steam page:
Explore an entirely new part of The Witcher’s vast open world — the land of wine, Toussaint
- Embark on over 30 hours of new adventures and discover a land unlike anything you’ve seen in Wild Hunt or Hearts of Stone.
- Visit new points of interest and set out on new side-quests in a realm rivaling No Man’s Land or Novigrad in size.
- Kick back and relax in your very own vineyard, a real home away from home.
Hunt down an elusive beast terrorizing the kingdom
- Unravel the mystery of the strange killings — investigate a series of brutal murders and decipher the pattern to predict who’s going to die next.
- Discover the dirty secrets of Toussaint’s capital, Beauclair — explore the city by day, ask questions by night.
- Use new gear, items, and combine them with your skill to slay monsters never before seen in the series.
Embark on your final quest in a world still brimming with things to do
- Visit a world of fairytales gone wrong and battle surreal creatures you know from children’s tales and books.
- Dye witcher armors in different colors thanks to an all-new game mechanic.
- Take on knights in a grand tourney to show your true fighting skill, or set out to discover the gruesome mystery behind a spoon-collecting creature known as a wight.
- Team up with powerful allies to take down the beast terrorizing the kingdom, or turn a blind eye to what’s going on and play Gwent with an all-new Skellige deck.
Director of The Witcher 3 Konrad Tomaszkiewicz said in a press release:
“Blood and Wine makes The Witcher 3 complete it’s Geralt’s final mission. Containing more than 90 new quests, and over thirty hours of brand new adventures, it’s something that I think gamers will remember for a long time,” said Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, Game Director, CD Projekt Red. “There’s also a massive amount of features we’re giving gamers with this expansion like a dynamic Point of Interest system, a new Gwent deck, new endgame mutation mechanics, and even a place Geralt can call home…. And it’s all happening in a new region as big as No Man’s Land in the base game.”
Looks like I’m going to be taking the week off! Let us know if you’ll be picking up Blood and Wine in the comment section below!
Patrick McQuaid is an aspiring games and film journalist/critic looking to make his mark on the industry. He’s attempting to finish his Communications degree while juggling a variety of responsibilities… it’s proving difficult, but he has some spunk. Don’t give him a beer and ask about Silent Hill 2 in the same action or prepare to have an aggravatingly long chat about how that game transcends the art form.