Core Keeper’s Quality of Love update for February 8, 2023, is live, and we have the full list of patches and changes the update will introduce. In the Quality of Love major update, the game will have Valentine’s Seasonal event addition. Additionally, the game will have several content updates and other additions that will remain in the game, even after the end of the seasonal event.
The Valentine’s seasonal event kicks off today, February 8, 2023, till February 28, 2023. Players can still access other seasonal events during this event through the Gameplay Settings menu. The ‘Gameplay Settings menu’ will replace the previous mechanic, where players would have to set the season under the game’s “Launch Options” in Steam.
Without further ado, here are the official Core Keeper’s February 8, 2023, patch notes.
Core Keeper February 8, 2023 Update Patch Notes
- Valentine’s Letters can be found dropped on the ground throughout the world. Pick them up and check out what the Seasonal Merchant has to offer for them! Any letters left on the ground after the season ends will disappear, and any picked-up letters will be kept. The letters will continuously appear randomly in the world throughout the season.
- The Seasonal Merchant now has a new skin and items to sell for the new season. The skin will change after the season ends, but the items can still be bought.
- Valentine Crafting Table. Acquired from the Seasonal Merchant.
- Valentine’s Chest. Acquired from the Seasonal Merchant.
- Valentine’s Gift. Acquired from the Seasonal Merchant.
- 9 new decorations and furniture.
- 3 new valuables.
- New consumables:
– Distilled Love.
– Box of Chocolates.
- New equipment and weapons:
– Cupid Bow.
– Cupid Tunic.
– Valentine Necklace.
– Valentine Ring.
- The iris of the Core has a heart shape during Valentine’s seasonal events.
- Magic Mirror. It can be crafted at the Carpenter’s Table and allows the player to change their character’s appearance and name.
- Mannequin. It can be crafted at the Carpenter’s Table and allows the player to showcase equipment.
- Equipment presets. Three tabs have been added to the character window allowing players to swap between different equipment setups quickly.
- Music Workbench. It can be crafted at the Tin Workbench and allows the player to craft the following:
- Harp, Flute, and Cello instruments. These can be used to play notes manually. Predefined songs can also be auto-played by standing nearby a Music Sheet Stand that contains a Music Sheet.
- Music Sheet Stand.
- Several Music Sheets.
- Loom. It can be crafted at the Carpenter’s Table, allowing players to craft different clothes. These are intended to allow more customization using the vanity slots in the Dresser but can be equipped directly as well:
– Wedding dress.
– Archeology clothes.
– Cooking clothes.
- The Ocarina has been changed into an instrument instead of a valuable one and can now also be commonly found in digging spots in the Azeos’ Wilderness Biome. The drop chance of the Dry Butterfly from digging spots has been reduced to compensate for this.
- Workbenches now have the option to select earlier tier Workbenches in their UI to allow crafting items from those Workbenches.
- Objects can now be rotated before placing them down instead of doing it through interaction after they have been placed down. The long-term plan is to support the rotation of more objects in the game; this change is a first step towards that. The current objects affected by this change are Drill, Robot Arm, Conveyor Belt, Galaxite Turret, Stone Turret, Delay Circuit, and Logic Circuit.
- Quick trash. Added a key binding allowing players to move items to the trash can quickly. Any item already in the trash can will be destroyed. The default key binding on the keyboard is the Delete key, which can be changed in the controls menu under the “Trash selected item” binding.
- Toggle UI keybinding. Added a keybinding (Ctrl+U) that allows players to toggle the in-game UI on or off. This is the same as changing the “Show in-game UI” setting under the UI Settings.
- Added an option under Gameplay Settings to activate specific seasons or turn them off completely. This can only be changed in the title menu and not while playing in a world. To avoid confusion, it is no longer possible to set a season through the launch options in Steam. Changing the date on the computer still works to activate specific seasons, but using this new option is recommended.
- Caveling Miners will sometimes lie down and sleep. They also have some new emotes they do while idling and while in combat.
- Caveling Hunters now need to reload their gun before shooting, giving players more time to avoid their shots.
- Adjusted overall enemy damage so that enemies, especially at the beginning of the game, deal a bit less damage.
- Slightly reduced health and damage dealt by Infected Cavelings.
- Reduced damage dealt with by Mold Tentacles.
- Reduced damage dealt with by Bubble Crabs.
- The condition which gives a chance to catch higher rarity fish now uses the correct chance for each fish. Previously, the chance was equal for all fish when this condition was triggered, including for the Starlight Nautilus. Increased the chance of catching Starlight Nautilus to compensate for this change.
- Reduced cost of Keys crafted at the Key Casting Table. Keys now also have a small chance to drop from all types of Slime enemies, the Miner Cavelings, and from fishing.
- Locked Chests have a small chance of being caught when fishing.
- Reduced the health of Omoroth and the tentacles that spawn during the boss fight.
- Changed, so the small racing track scenery only appears once.
- Turrets now put enemies into combat. This makes them more useful for mob farms and consistent with how Spike Traps work.
Quality of Life:
- Circuits can now be placed under other blocking objects, and walls can be built on top of the Circuits.
- Conveyor Belts can now move gokarts, and they can also be placed on top of Conveyor Belts.
- Hitting objects now takes the mouse position / right joystick direction into account to give more precise control when defining which object to hit around the player.
- Fences adapt toward adjacent walls now. This means there are no longer small gaps between fences and walls.
- Ores from boulders now spawn in a random position inside the boulder, so having multiple drills on the same boulder will not always yield ore from the same drill.
- Clicking the recipes in auto-crafting objects such as the Furnace and Table Saw will automatically move the required materials to the input slots from the player inventory or any adjacent chest.
- Holding down the modifier key to pick up 10 of a stack (Ctrl) can now be done when crafting to craft 10 times the amount of the item. This only works for stackable items. Clicking recipes in auto-crafting objects such as the Cooking Pot and the Furnace can also move 10 required materials to the input slots.
- Rails can now be built on top of Conveyor Belts. Note that Conveyor Belts do not affect Minecarts on Rails, but this feature is intended to allow moving items through Rails.
- Any electronic object can now be built on top of Wires. Note that, in most cases, this will override the behavior of the Wire, such as when placing a Logic Circuit on top of a Wire.
Our Quality of Love update is now live!
Part seasonal event, part content update, there’s plenty to uncover including playable musical instruments, a new Valentine’s workbench, updates to our graphics render pipeline, and more 💖
Find out more here: https://t.co/JG3GTMpo4I pic.twitter.com/zOVQQfDFiP
— Core Keeper – Desert of Beginnings Update Out Now! (@CoreKeeperGame) February 8, 2023
More Quality of Life Changes
- Added in-game UI navigation keybindings. This will mainly be useful for players using controllers to change the D-pad buttons to do something other than navigating in the UI, as the joystick can already be used for that.
- GoKarts and Boats can now be rotated before being placed down.
- The Robot Arm can now place objects into the Fishing Net Rack, Decorative Pot, and Planter Box.
- Golden Glow Tulips now emits gold light instead of blue.
- Gravestones take 3 hits to destroy to avoid destroying other players’ gravestones as easily. The player’s gravestone is still destroyed in one hit like before.
- The Furnace, Smelter Kiln, Fury Forge, and Table Saw now only accept the resources they can process in their input slots.
- Creatures no longer try to damage objects that they can’t break in a few hits.
- Hoes that cover multiple tiles will now prioritize hoeing other tiles, such as Moss or Slime, before hoeing any ground tiles.
- Enemies no longer block players from mining walls while holding a mining pick.
- Add a cap to how many Jelly Fishes can spawn in an area.
- Add a cap to how many Tentacles can spawn in an area.
- Add a cap to how many Fish Shoals can spawn in an area with seawater.
- Add a cap to how many Water Lilies spawn in an area.
- Add a cap to how many Water Kelps spawn in an area.
Art and Animation:
- Implemented a brand-new rendering pipeline. This should result in an upgrade in terms of lighting and GPU performance.
- Completely reworked indirect (bounce) lighting. Light now spreads further and considers surface color, resulting in softer, more saturated dynamic lighting.
- Added a new system for calculating advanced object shadows. This causes most objects and enemies to cast per-light shadows.
- Emissive surfaces can now generate light.
- Improved resolution upscaling, making the game appear sharper on window resolutions higher than 1920×1080.
- Split the graphics settings menu into two: Display and Graphics.
- Added a screen-space ambient occlusion effect and a Graphics setting for it (Low / Medium / High).
- Added an Object Shadows Graphics setting (Off / Simple / Advanced). Simple makes the shadows behave as they did before this update, and Advanced uses the new system.
- Improved bloom and added a Display setting (Normal / Reduced / Off).
- Reworked the “16-bit color” option: It is now called “Color Output” and allows you to change from the full 24-bit output to a limited 15-bit color palette. An additional option allows you to add dithering to this effect, which breaks up the color bands that appear. The 15-bit setting is intended to give the game a “retro” look and has no bearing on performance.
- Improved the shine effect on ore in walls.
- Improved graphics for the snare effects for Snare Plants.
- Improved animations for the Caveling Miners.
- Improved lighting from emissive plants such as Glow Tulips.
- Improved lighting from emissive objects such as Furnaces and Smelter Kilns.
- Added shadows for Fences and Roots.
- Adjustment to Larva’s hurt & death sound effects.
- Swords now have unique swing & impact sound effects.
- Adjustment to Rune Song sound effects.
- Adjustment to Slime Sword sound effects.
- Adjustment to Throwing Daggers sound effects.
We're feeling romantic! 💕🌸
To celebrate the launch of @CoreKeeperGame's Quality of Love update, we're giving away a game key & a £10 Steam voucher! To enter:
💋 Follow @FireshineGames
💌 Follow @CoreKeeperGame
😍 Tag a pal
Winner will be picked on Valentine's day! pic.twitter.com/nPccYMj1ba
— Fireshine Games (@FireshineGames) February 8, 2023
- Updated Unity to version 2021.3.14f1.
- Added moddable configuration files for loot tables.
- Added moddable configuration files for fishing loot and struggle behavior.
- Added moddable configuration files for environment and mob spawns.
- Added moddable configuration files for changing friend or foe for factions.
- Added moddable texture for changing color grading.
- Improve initial loading time when joining a game.
- Equipment and consumables like the Glow Tulip that emit a blue glow now state “blue glow” in its stats instead of just “glow.”
- The Painter’s Table has been moved to the Carpenter’s Table.
- Credits auto scrolling can be paused by holding down the interact button.
- Crystal Lamp has a working collider now.
- Fixed so off hands can still be used while hovering any UI element with the mouse.
- Added Blue Glass Kalimba valuable that drops from Large Destructibles in the Ancient City Ruins in the Sunken Sea. This item was added as the reward for winning the “Creepy Caves” competition by our community member Woopsiee.
- Azeos now screeches when flying over the player as a shadow.
- Changed Larvaskin Rugs and Temple Decor Rugs to appear above Rug tiles.
- The delay time before fades in on world load to avoid having objects pop in.
- The souls’ tab is now unlocked when a player is nearby a Soul Orb without the need to talk to the Core first.
- Fixed a bug where the mouse selection would override keyboard navigation in menus when not moving or using the mouse.
- Fixed a bug where Shroomans would collide with seeds when charging.
- Fixed a bug where objects with a random visual appearance based on their world position would not be so random but instead follow a pattern in some cases.
- Fixed a bug that would stop the summoning of the Slime bosses after summoning the King Slime anywhere in the world.
- Fixed an issue with the Kelp Tree showing duplicate sprites.
- Critters will no longer spawn inside The Core or the Boss Statues.
- Grass and Bushes no longer drop seeds sometimes.
- Roots of different types no longer grow into each other.
- Fixed a bug that would allow the digging of the walls around the Hive Mother using a Hoe in specific cases.
- Fixed an issue where Ra-Akar the Sand Titan would spawn even after the removal of the Thumper.
- Fixed an issue where some merchants would always restock their items when restarting the game after the activation if some status.
- There’s an adjustment on small icons for Glowing Tulip and Puffungi. The team has now centered the icons.
- Fixed a bug where projectiles would visually look like they pick up the effects of ground effects such as mold or slime.
- Fixed a bug where roots would spread before the full growth of the Root Plant.
- Fixed a bug where Ghost Scholars were not immune to debuffs such as burning.
- Fixed a bug where Poison Traps would take damage and allow players with thorns damage to destroy them.
- Fixed a bug where the set bonus from the Ivy equipment would give crit a chance from any debuff applied, not just poison.
- Fixed a bug that would block the placement of the door adjacent to walls containing ore.
- Fixed an issue where light sources would stop following their object when fading out.
Core Keeper February 8, 2023 update is live for PCs, and patch notes are available on the Steam Page.