The Devourer is definitely the first “DPS check” wall most players encounter in Nexon’s looter shooter. Before the Devourer Intercept Mission, you can pretty much complete all missions by smashing your way in with any character. Once reaching this point though, players who don’t take their time to prep and farm gear end up having to pay the price. There is no easy way to beat the Devourer, but our The First Descendant guide will tell you everything you need to clear the Raid.
The First Descendant: Tricks to Beat the Devourer Raid Boss
1. Learn Its Weaknesses
Like the G.I. Joe used to say, knowing is half the battle. In this case, knowing where to shoot is the best way to make sure your ammo doesn’t go to waste.
Before you press the start button on the Devourer Intercept Mission, make sure you read all of the information on the mission window. Basically, the Raid Boss has three destructible parts and two removable parts. Aim at those parts to dish out maximum damage and finally beat the Devourer in The First Descendant. To easily destroy the parts, equip Piercing-type weaponry.
- Sensor (Head/Eyes)
- Core Cap (Chest)
- Balancer (Kneecaps)
- Core (Chest)
2. Get Proper Mods and Upgrade Them
First of all, you will need any Weapon Mods that increase Electric Damage, because Devourer is weak against Electric. You can try looking for Electric Enhancement and Electric Specialist Mods. If you’re seeing green when shooting at the boss, then you’re good to go. Aside from that, just stack any attack or damage-boosting Mods. Rank up your Class’s Mastery to unlock more Mod slots.
Then, it’s time to buff up your defense. Your main Mods for this are going to be stuff that increases your Toxic Resistance by at least 600 points. Mods like Toxic Antibody and Toxic Resistance Maximization are your best bet. Afterward, grab HP and DEF percentage buff Mods.
Don’t forget about Special Mods too! This can be a huge difference between success and failure in beating the Devourer in The First Descendant. For example, Battlesuit Crusher is one of the best Special Mods that you can use for this fight thanks to the -50% DEF debuff. Weaken Recovery can work great too since it debuffs the boss’s annoying regen, as long as your whole party uses it.
But simply applying Mods isn’t enough. You also have to fully Enhance them to bring out their maximum damage potential. Spend all your hard-earned cash on Electric and attack boost Mods at Silion’s store. It won’t be cheap, sure, but you really need to go all out on this one.
3. Bring Your Best Gear, aka Ones With the ‘Ultimate’ Tag
Carrying around Ultimate guns will also help with your DPS. You’ll be rewarded with the Thunder Cage Ultimate SMG when you complete the “<Ultimate> Weapon Crafting Training Stage” quest. The quest will be unlocked once you reach the Sterile Land. This also goes for Modules and Components for your Descendants. Pick the ones that increase health and defense to make your character tankier.
Still, if you don’t have one for beating the Devourer The First Descendant fight, don’t worry too much. Just get your gear to Level 36 or above and pick the ones with the highest damage. Bring a kitted-out Electric Shotgun too for dealing with the health regen pylons.
4. Get Some Help from Reliable Friends
Last but not least, try to group up with friends instead of playing with randoms. This way, you can communicate properly with each other. Finding others who’ve completed the Raid can also help you out by getting strategies and tips for the fight. Just don’t expect to be carried — all team members have to contribute damage and minimize death to complete this mission!
Strategies to Beat Devourer in The First Descendant
Once you’ve prepped and all set, let’s take a quick breakdown of the best ways to defeat this boss. Here are the eight main points you need to remember to beat The First Descendant Devourer:
- Do not waste Heavy Ammo on the boss. Constant damage from your Electric normal weapons is actually enough to (eventually) kill it.
- Save the Heavy Ammo for the health regen pylons. You also would want to bring a Shotgun to blast away the pylons fast.
- If your team groups up on one pylon at a time, be careful of the multiplied airstrikes! The Devourer’s Toxic airstrike homes in on all players when the pylons are up. It’s best to deal with all four pylons simultaneously if all of your party members can dish enough DPS.
- There’s also an interesting trick on how to get more damage in:
- Shoot the Removable Parts until they’re yellow, but don’t break it yet!
- Grapple and break it after it launches the first health regen pylon.
- When a Removable Part is broken, the Devourer will fall to its knees, open to being shot at.
- This way, you can get as much damage as you can before it starts to Enrage.
- You can check its Enrage meter below its health bar by activating Ecive Scan. This can be done by pressing the Tab key on a keyboard or Right Stick on a controller.
- When the Devourer is down, focus on its Sensor/Eyes for maximum damage.
- You can use any Descendant you want, but having a Gley is very useful. It’s all thanks to her Increased Sensory Skill which grants unlimited ammo for you and your teammates.
- Jayber’s Turret can also take off aggro from you and your teammates.
- Always play keep away to dodge its attacks. The Toxic bombs that spread can be avoided through the arena’s elevation differences.
That’s pretty much it on how to beat the Devourer in The First Descendant. Here’s hoping your fight goes well this time around.
The First Descendant is currently in beta for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC via Steam.