Overwatch 2’s PvP beta has today received its May 5 update, so here’s the full list of changes and fixes with this patch. Here we are ladies and gentlemen, the first set of changes to characters for the first beta of Overwatch 2! Today, the team is looking to make serious changes for Damage, Tank, and Support characters to bring them more in line in the meta with the other characters. This includes a brand new passive for Zenyatta, changes to Soldier 76’s ultimate, a strange change to Roadhog’s ultimate, and more! Without further adieu, here’s everything new with Overwatch 2’s PvP beta update for May 5!
Overwatch 2 PvP Beta May 5 Update Patch Notes
- Enabled Quick Play Open Queue
- Made adjustments to Kill Feed and Activity Feed UI
- Adjusted audio mix:
- Reduced bass frequencies on 3rd person weapons
- Fixed a bug in the reverb system that caused reverberation to play from all directions – now should be fully directional towards the sound’s source.
- Fixed a bug where the “Thank you for reporting” message would not clear
- Fixed a bug where names in the friends list would appear alphabetically regardless of game status
- Fixed a bug where heroes that killed themselves would show incorrectly in the kill feed
- Fixed a bug where health packs would sometimes be missing timers
- Fixed a bug where Reaper would sometimes be auto selected on hero select
- Fixed a bug where the control progress bar would sometimes be the wrong color
- Made several adjustments to sound volume and mix
- Fixed several crashes
- Fixed a bug where Wrecking Ball could crash other players
- Fixed a bug where Melee attacks would not deal damage to Doomfist during Power Block
- Fixed a bug where Roadhog’s hook cooldown would start on return instead of cast
- Fixed a bug where Soldier’s Heavy Pulse Rifle might snap awkwardly during Tactical Visor
- Fixed a bug when Soldier 76 would have a slanted UI when wearing his Ugly Sweater skin
- Fixed a bug where shooting Symmetra’s turrets into the horizon would cause turrets to be unusable
- Fixed a bug where Hanzo’s White Wolf skin would appear invisible
- Fixed a bug where Brigitte’s shield did not block damage from above
- Fixed a bug where using Nano Boost on Doomfist would overwrite his damage reduction
- Fixed a bug where Sonic Amplifier could jam and not reload
- Adjusted some geometry on top of the train to prevent players from staying there indefinitely
- Adjusted some geometry that could be abused by players
Overwatch 2 PvP Beta May 5 Update: Heroes
We saw a lot of players at varying skill levels struggling to land shots with her Alt Fire, so we are making the projectile width wider.
Sojourn is all about mobility, and we wanted her to move around the maps more freely. We think this will help increase her effectiveness and make her even more fun to play.
- Projectile width increased from 0.05m to 0.1m
- Cooldown reduced from 7 to 6 seconds
We believe Soldier 76 was over tuned during the first week of the PvP beta. He was extremely mobile with the new damage passive that increases movement speed by 10%. We brought his Sprint ability down a bit with the new passive in mind.
Soldier 76 has always been a high damage output hero, but we are seeing fewer counters to him with one less tank per team. We lowered the damage of his Heavy Pulse Rifle to fit with 5v5.
We wanted to make Tactical Visor a more interesting ultimate for players who want to push their aim skills through the ability. The point of this change isn’t purely to buff him or counterbalance the nerfs. We wanted to make Soldier 76 more fun to play while rewarding mechanical skill.
- Damage reduced from 20 to 18
- Movement speed reduced from 50 to 40%
- Now allows for critical hits, if a shot would have been a critical hit outside his ultimate
- No longer removes damage falloff from his Heavy Pulse Rifle
After a week of testing the new damage passive, we decided to balance Sombra’s Stealth speed with the 10% movement speed increase in mind.
- Movement speed reduced from 65 to 50%
We saw Roadhog underperforming, so we are making his ultimate more interesting, effective, and fun. Roadhog was dying frequently while using Whole Hog, so we are trying to give him more options and flexibility in his ult.
- This ability has changed from a ‘Channeled’ ultimate (e.g. Pharah, Reaper, Cassidy), into a ‘Transform’ ultimate (e.g. Soldier: 76, Genji, Winston). This is what that means:
- The weapon no longer automatically fires, and you must press Primary Fire to use the ultimate
- You can use normal abilities during Whole Hog without canceling the ultimate
- Stuns will no longer cancel the ultimate
The change to Winston’s secondary fire enables him to use it more often without sacrificing as much of his primary fire. We want his secondary fire to feel less restrictive to use and more fluid like his kit.
- Secondary fire ammo cost reduced from 20 to 12
We are reverting Roll’s knockback to the original value from when Wrecking Ball was launched. We wanted to give Wrecking Ball a more unique role as a dive tank that can split up enemy teams. We made this change with the Tank passive of 30% knockback resistance in mind.
- Knockback increased by 36%
There are less counters to Graviton Surge with one less tank per team and phase effects no longer escaping Zarya’s ultimate. We observed the ultimate over-performing, so this change brings it in line with 5v5 gameplay.
- Duration reduced from 4 to 3.5 seconds
Lucio had incredible survivability with Crossfade stacked with the new support role passive, so we reduced the amount it heals himself.
- Self-healing penalty increased from 30% to 60%
Baptist is under-performing because teams aren’t playing as grouped up right now. Increasing his healing ammo will let him heal more targets who aren’t necessarily grouped up.
- Healing ammo increased from 10 to 13
Ana’s Biotic Grenade was too effective with one less tank and more infrequent barriers, so we are reducing the duration of the ability. We also saw Ana using her grenade less frequently on herself because of the new support passive ability. To help compensate for her grenade, we wanted to give her power back through increasing her Biotic Rifle’s ammo.
- Ammo increased from 12 to 15
- Duration reduced from 4 to 3 seconds
Zenyatta has trouble fighting at close range, so he was at a disadvantage if an enemy flanked or jumped on top of him. His new passive, Snap Kick, will help him create space and put enemies at his fighting range.
We think this new passive will be a fun adjustment to his kit, but we also want this change to acknowledge community concerns. We understand 5v5 has made support heroes feel more vulnerable, and we wanted to give Zenyatta tools to help create space between him and enemies.
- Base shields increased from 150 to 175
- New Passive Ability
- Increases Quick melee damage by 50% and significantly increases its knockback
It’s difficult to tell when Brigitte lands a Shield Bash because the impact of that ability was not easily noticeable. This is a subtle change that will make the ability feel more satisfying.
- Knockback doubled
The Overwatch 2 PvP beta is available exclusively on PC, though the full game will be available on PlayStation and Xbox consoles as well. For more information regarding this update, check out the official website.