With a physical release on its way later this month, the popular pixel-art platformer Owlboy will also be getting a limited edition box set, according to a press release yesterday from publisher SOEDESCO.
The limited edition will include the base game on either the Nintendo Switch or PlayStation 4, along with several collector’s items. It “will become available in stores” on July 13, and includes the following:
- Owlboy base game for Nintendo Switch or PlayStation a4
- Certificate of authenticity with a unique Limited Edition number
- Original soundtrack, physical copy featuring the majestic Owlboy sounds
- Owlboy notebook for logging all your adventures
- Owlboy manual full of useful information about the game
- Two pins, one of the Owlboy logo and one of main character Otus
- Two metal coins inspired by the collectible ‘Buccanary coins‘ in the game
- Pin box to safely store your pins and coins
- Sticker sheet with seventeen magnificent Owlboy stickers
Only 6,000 units of this limited edition will be made available per platform.
— SOEDESCO (@SOEDESCO) May 4, 2018
Owlboy developer D-Pad Studios is based in Norway, and SOEDESCO in the Netherlands. Regional distribution details for the limited edition have not been revealed yet, but Twitter conversations with the publisher indicate the July 13 date may be for Europe, with U.S. distribution planned later. However, nothing on that front is official.
The press release did not indicate price either, but SOEDESCO claimed on Twitter that the estimated price is 69.99 euros, which comes out to about $84.
First released on Steam in November 2016, Owlboy is a Metroid-vania style platformer with some unique gameplay elements. Players control Otus, a young member of a owl/human hybrid race known simply as Owls. When his village is ransacked by pirates, Otus sets out on an adventure to save his people.
What makes Otus different from many platformer protagonists is his lack of offensive capabilities. He mostly just flies around. However, he finds many allies throughout his adventures who each carry a unique weapon. Players choose a companion to carry around, and most of the combat is accomplished in this way. This indirect arsenal system is something rarely seen in the genre.
Release to consoles was originally announced for February 13, 2018, but only the Switch version made it out on time. PS4 and Xbox digital versions were released April 10. Standard edition physical release for Switch and PS4 is scheduled for May 29.
With a limited stock coming from a Dutch publisher, Owlboy‘s upcoming collector’s edition may be hard to get ahold of, but diehard fans of the hit indie game are sure to try.