Update: Well that was fast. Phil Spencer has confirmed on Twitter that the rumor is not true.
— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) May 30, 2015
Original story below…
Rooster teeth (more specifically the Funhaus crew) have stated that Microsoft is working on a deal to bring Silent Hills exclusively to the Xbox One. This news is according to an anonymous source that is “well-placed” in the industry.
According to the source, Microsoft is working on a deal to buy the Silent Hills property for billions. They also stated this deal could explain why P.T (the playable Silent Hills teaser) was taken down from the Playstation Store. The game is reportedly 80% finished, which would put the release date for March 2016.
Microsoft is not shy when it comes to buying intellectual property. They purchased Mojang, the creators of Minecraft, for the sum of $2.5 billion. But when asked about the rumor, they said “Microsoft does not comment on rumor or speculation.”
It is hard to believe if these rumors are true, however. In a Reddit AMA, Norman Reedus, the voice actor for Silent Hills‘ lead protagonist, said the “heavy stuff” is not filmed yet. It has been a few months since then, but this would make the presumption of the game being 80% complete hard to believe.
In addition, Silent Hills is not worth a billion dollars, considering the franchise has never sold well. So if rumors were true, Microsoft would have to be getting something more than just the Silent Hills property or they will be overspending.
The source mentioned by Roosterteeth does however, has a good track record. In 2013, the same source said that Microsoft will release a Kinect-less Xbox One in the summer of 2014. This ended up happening.
More good news: the game’s director, Guillermo Del Toro, is still excited for the project; even signing a Change.org petition that wants to keep the game in production.
Konami has since released a statement apologizing to fans:
The Metal Gear and Silent Hill series, both beloved by countless fans around the globe, are also extremely important to Konami. We have nurtured them with care over many years since their inception, and will continue to produce products for both franchises, but we are not currently at a stage where we can announce the path these future titles will take.
Konami canceled Silent Hills in April of this year. They are more interested in working on mobile games and pachinko slot machines than AAA games. So selling their intellectual properties would be smart for a company that wants out.
Do you think the rumors are true? Are you excited for the possibility of Silent Hills coming back? Let us know in the comment section.
Harman is a freelance writer from California. He likes action-rpgs and long walks on the beach.