The Trapper is one of the original trio of Killers introduced when Dead by Daylight launched. Although many players discovered additional (and better) Killers, he can still be eventful and fun in the right hands. Plus, he isn’t difficult. This makes The Trapper an excellent entry point if you have never played the game or had a Killer run. You will just need the best builds for The Trapper to make your Dead by Daylight experience enjoyable.
Best Builds for The Trapper in Dead by Daylight
As we mentioned, The Trapper is known as one of the first Killers from the game. He may not be as popular nowadays seeing as there are more than 30 Killers available. That still doesn’t mean The Trapper isn’t iconic. You just need the right perks for him.
As we get into the best Dead by Daylight builds for The Trapper, let’s touch on his unique perks:
- Unnerving Presence: Affects any Survivors repairing or healing within your Terror Radius. These Survivors suffer from a 10% increase in the trigger odds of a skill check. They also see a 40/50/60% decrease in the success zone of skill checks.
- Brutal Strength: Increases action speed of breaking pallets, damaging generators, and destroying breakable walls by 10/15/20%.
- Agitation: When you carry a Survivor, there’s an increase in your carrying movement speed by 6/12/18%. Additionally, there’s an increase in your Terror Radius by 12 meters.
As his name implies, The Trapper comes with a trap. A Bear Trap power, to be more specific. You start out with 2, and can only carry that max amount, but you can find 6 throughout the map. Also, you always see the auras of the traps you lay down.
If you want the best builds for The Trapper in Dead by Daylight, it doesn’t hurt to make good use of your power in conjunction.
Best Beginner Builds for The Trapper
If you want to focus on the bare-bone perks, then you can use everything available to you without the additional Killer DLCs. You can still make a handy Killer that will control and win a Trial.
The following build works to slow Generator progression down while making it easier to harm and chase Survivors. For this, bring Unnerving Presence and Brutal Strength from The Trapper. Add these perks with them:
- Jolt (General): When a Survivor is downed via a Basic Attack, Generators within 32 meters explode and regress. They have a progression penalty of 6/7/8%.
- Sloppy Butcher (General): Basic Attacks cause Mangled and Hemorrhage effects with bleeding frequency increased by 50/75/100%. Partial healing progression lost from Hemorrhage increases by 15/20/25% as well.
You can use an add-on like Serrated Jaws to further injure Survivors once they escape your Bear Trap.
Another one of the best builds for The Trapper in Dead by Daylight focuses more on Survivors. This build keeps you moving fast so you can hook and set down your traps as quickly as possible. From The Trapper, use Agitation and Brutal Strength. Additional perks include:
- Iron Grasp (General): Decreases Wiggle effects by 75% and increase Wiggle duration by 4/8/12%.
- Whispers (General): The Entity whispers to you when a Survivor is within 48/40/32 meters of you.
An add-on like Trapper Gloves helps you set traps faster.
Best All-Perks Builds for The Trapper in Dead by Daylight
To really make The Trapper work for you, you may need all the available perks from other fellow Killers.
Below is one of the best Dead by Daylight builds for The Trapper who wants to be a stalker. You don’t need any of his perks for this. Instead, use the following:
- Deerstalker (General): All downed Survivors within 20/28/36 meters have their auras revealed.
- I’m All Ears (The Ghost Face): Survivors who perform a rushed action within 48 meters of you have their auras revealed for 6 seconds.
- Discordance (The Legion): Generators within 64/96/128 meters that have 2 or more Survivors repairing it is marked with a yellow aura. When first highlighted, there’s a loud noise notification.
- Dragon’s Grip (The Blight): Activates for 30 seconds when you damage a Generator. The first Survivor who interacts with it will scream, reveal their location for 4 seconds, and suffer from Exposed for 60 seconds.
Honing Stone is a great add-on for this build since it immediately places Survivors who free themselves from the Bear Trap in the dying state.
Eager to slow Survivors down? Then you need this build:
- Thanataphobia (The Nurse): Each time you injure, hook, or down a Survivor, the Survivor receives a stackable 1/1.5/2% action speed penalty. The penalty further increases by 12% if 4 Survivors are injured, hooked, or downed at the same time.
- Hex: Thrill of the Hunt (General): Gains 1 Token for any Totem remaining on the map. Survivors will get a stackable action speed penalty to Cleansing and Blessing by 8/9/10%.
- Corrupt Intervention (The Plague): When a Trial starts, The Entity blocks 3 Generators furthest from you for 80/100/120 seconds.
- Scourge Hook: Gift of Pain (The Cenobite): 4 random hooks change to Scourge Hooks at the start of the Trial with white auras. Survivors hooked on them suffer from Mangled and Hemorrhage effects until healed. When healed, they have a 10/13/16% action speed penalty to healing and repairing.
Or perhaps you want some of the more aggressive best builds for The Trapper in Dead by Daylight? In this case, try these perks out:
- No Way Out (The Trickster): Gains 1 Token when you hook a Survivor for the first time. Activates when Survivors power the Exit Gates. You receive a loud noise notification once a Survivor interacts with the Exit Gate Switch. The Entity blocks both Exit Gate Switches for 12 seconds. You get an additional 6/9/12 seconds for each Token.
- Hex: The Third Seal (The Hag): The last 2/3/4 Survivors hit with a Basic or Special Attack suffer Blindness.
- Deadlock (The Cenobite): Once a Generator is completed, The Entity blocks the Generator with the most progression for 20/25/30 seconds. Its aura is highlighted in white.
- Trail of Torment (The Executioner): Activates when you damage a Generator. Gives you the Undetectable effect until a Survivor is damaged or the Generator stops regressing.
The Bloody Coil add-on is priceless here since it puts healthy Survivors who disarm Bear Traps into an injured state, damaging them without you being present.
And these are just some of our favorite builds for The Trapper. See which ones work for you as you adapt to using this classic Killer.
Dead by Daylight is available on PC, PS5 and PS4 systems, Xbox One and Series systems, Nintendo Switch, iOS, and Android.