This time, players are taking issue with the Genshin Impact anniversary event rewards. In a previous article, we’d talked about the game’s fans not being particularly impressed by the balancing of 5-star character Yoimiya. The pyro archer was considered clunky, with flawed gameplay mechanics and underwhelming damage overall. Considering her design was appreciated, and the other pyro archer wasn’t any good, players were understandably disappointed with the developers.
In this new incident, the fanbase is angry for a completely different reason, which has nothing to do with the game’s balancing. September 28 marks Genshin Impact‘s first year anniversary and gacha games usually celebrate such landmarks with special events. Usually, these types of games are rather generous with anniversary rewards and tend to gift players with free pulls, increased drop rates, or other special goodies. It’s understandable that, considering Genshin Impact is arguably the most popular gacha title right now, that players were eagerly anticipating what miHoYo had in store for the event.
Time flies, a year has gone by, and Genshin Impact is about to turn one year old! Today, the Teyvat Hiking Association has brought you a rewards preview of the one year anniversary community events~
— Genshin Impact (@GenshinImpact) September 20, 2021
Genshin Impact Anniversary Event Rewards: Why The Uproar?
The developers’ announcement details what the anniversary rewards are going to be. Essentially, to participate, players will need to create an anniversary card so they can join a raffle. There is then a 90 percent chance of winning 100,000 Mora, and a 10 percent chance of earning a Blessing of the Welkin Moon. The higher-end rewards include three iPhone 13 Pro Max’s – which can only be earned if players share social media posts on a daily basis. Other events include a cosplay contest, which has also ended up angering the game’s content creators.
The general feeling surrounding the event is that the developers are using the fanbase for their own marketing – instead of rewarding players after a very successful year. A now-deleted Reddit post complaining about the situation had managed to gather over 17,000 upvotes, making the player base’s anger very clear.
If Genshin Impact players were hoping for miHoYo to backtrack and improve anniversary rewards, they might be a little disappointed. After all, it looks like the developers have already moved on, after introducing their next in-game event:
The autumn moon shines bright, and Liyue Harbor is hard at work preparing for the traditional Moonchase Festival. The preparations for various activities based on the festival's theme are well underway.
— Genshin Impact (@GenshinImpact) September 26, 2021
It remains to be seen whether miHoYo will be handling rewards differently in the future.