Fatalis is easily the star of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne‘s last Title Update. But you shouldn’t forget about the Arch-Tempered Velkhana quest that came on October 15 with the Seliana Fun Fright Fest. It’s not just because Velkhana is the flagship monster of Iceborne, but also because it is still a pretty challenging fight, even with the Fatalis set. If you haven’t tried the ‘The Place Where Winter Sleeps’ event quest or need a bit of help for fighting it, here are some tips you should remember and what’s new in the Velkhana Gamma armor set.
Tips For Fighting the Monster
- The Arch-Tempered Velkhana has a 360-degree freeze breath Supernova. It’s unblockable even with Guard Up. To avoid it, simply hug its hind legs or run away.
- It has two new moves. One is a five-way ice blast. They explode one after another so block and dodge carefully.
- The other is five-way ice pillars that create annoying walls. These are easy to dodge though. Just stay in the gap between each pillar.
- 20+ Ice Resistance could help but isn’t mandatory unless you spend stamina all the time. Getting Heroics and boosting defense proves useful if you get hit often.
- Clutch Clawing while wearing Temporal or Rocksteady Mantle, when it’s running, doesn’t help. It will drain your Mantle and get you pinned instead.
- Arch-Tempered Velkhana has three levels of Aura. It starts at level 1 then goes to 2, which gives buffs against all types of attacks and extra damages on its ice attacks. After every Supernova it drops by one level. You can only drop the Aura level using weapons with Elderseal. Read more about it here.
Other than that, Arch-Tempered Velkhana still has the same moves as its regular form. It just hits much harder. Unlike Arch-Tempered Namielle, you have to stay on the offensive all the time because the quest has a 30-minute time limit.
Arch-Tempered Velkhana Armor
The set will give you the Critical Element skill that increases elemental damage on critical hits for two pieces of armor. Wearing four-pieces will give you Frostcraft. Yes, that means you can still mix-and-match it with a Safi’Jiiva weapon and/or the Velkhana Alpha and Beta sets. Below is the list of armor skills and materials needed for each piece:
- Rimeguard Helm γ+: Velkhana Ticket 1x, Velkhana Cortex x5, Velkhana Crownhorn x5, Large Elder Dragon Gem x1.
- Skills: Coalescence Level 3, Resuscitate Level 1; Deco Level 4 + Level 4 + Level 1.
- Rimeguard Mail γ+: Velkhana Ticket 1x, Velkhana Cortex x5, Velkhana Fellwing x6, Velkhana Crystal x1.
- Skills: Critical Draw Level 3, Ice Attack Level 3; Deco Level 4 + Level 2 + Level 1.
- Rimeguard Vambraces γ+: Velkhana Ticket 1x, Velkhana Cortex x5, Velkhana Hardclaw x7, Large Elder Dragon Gem x1.
- Skills: Recovery Up Level 3, Ice Attack Level 3; Deco Level 4 + Level 3.
- Rimeguard Coil γ+: Velkhana Ticket 1x, Velkhana Cortex x5, Velkhana Lash x4, Large Elder Dragon Gem x1.
- Skills: Focus Level 3, Quick Sheath Level 1; Deco Level 4 + Level 1.
- Rimeguard Greaves γ+: Velkhana Ticket 1x, Velkhana Cortex x5, Crystal Shard x8, Large Elder Dragon Gem x1.
- Skills: Peak Performance Level 3, Quick Sheath Level 2; Deco Level 4 + Level 2.
Have you beaten the Arch-Tempered Velkhana yet? If not, I hope this guide will be useful in your endeavor. Share your hunting and carting stories with me in the comments below.