State of Decay 2 is an odd beast. It can’t seem to decide whether it wants to lean into the some of its inherent silliness, like a wilderness version of Dead Rising, or if it wants to be a high stakes zombie survival game. I prefer the former, so it’s nice to see the “Independence Pack” DLC doing just that. Check out the release trailer below:
Fireworks! Big American flags! Revolutionary war zombies! That’s the kind of goofball zombie apocalypse I like to see.
Microsoft released the full notes on State of Decay 2‘s new DLC, which you can find right here. Here’s the basic rundown of what you’ll get for your $4.99:
- Three new vehicles: the Pyrohawk, Burninator, and Meatwagon.
- New melee weapons. The Freedom Ringer and Grillmeister are both excellent names, but what Independence Day celebration would be complete without a BBQ fork?
- Additional explosive weaponry, the Pyro Launcher and Starshank Launcher.
- Four types of fireworks, so you can “turn a mission into a celebration.” The pack adds the Block Rocker, Reign O’ Fire, Bouncing Boris, and XL Firework Shell.
- A new traveling salesmen, specializing in the new explosives, and a new crafting station so you can build your own. Make sure to count your fingers when you’re finished.
- Apparently, some of the zombies are dressed in Revolutionary War attire now.
Besides the Independence Pack DLC, Microsoft also announced that State of Decay 2 also has a free update that adds quite a bit of new (non-firework) content to the game. The “Daybreak Pack” is also headed to the game this September.
We quite liked State of Decay 2, and found that the game actually had a ton to do already, so the Independence Pack is just silly icing on that cake. Pick it up if you want to spruce up your colony a bit. It’s available now.