Festivals are the best moment to both farm and use Steamworks fuel in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. You only need about 5,000 fuel to send Steamworks into overdrive instead of the usual 15,000 fuel (if you set it x10 output). It also drops more rewards like Steel, Silver, Gold, and Celestial Tickets. Considering Capcom is rerunning all previous Festivals for the whole of September, this is a perfect time to do it, right?
Don’t forget! Before you go to the Guiding Lands, always prepare your best gathering sets first. The most recommended skills you should look out in your armor sets are:
- Master Gatherer: Makes your gathering animation faster and negates knockback from monsters’ attack when gathering
- Geologist Level 3: While Level 1 lets you pick up “shinies” (monster drops) twice, Level 3 will help you mine more items from crystals
- Intimidator Level 3: To scare away small monsters while you are busy with mining
- Tool Specialist Level 1: Assassin’s Mantle will be crucial for farming so you want to maximize upkeep. Instead of wasting more slots on your armor, you can just dump the other levels to your mantles instead
- Marathon Runner or Stamina Surge: Useful for making you use less/regenerate more stamina
Best Steamworks Fuel Mining Route for MHW: Iceborne
- Eat for Felyne Harvester in Canteen
- Spawn in Eastern Camp (Camp 3) in Guiding Lands, put on Assassin’s Hood
- Immediately go to the Coral Area and mine all available mining crystals
- Go to Tundra Area once you’re done, mine all the crystals
- Quickly open your map and Fast Travel back to Camp 3, drop through the nearest hole to Volcano Area, mine there
- After you’re done, mine crystals in Rotten Area
- Fast Travel to Camp 3 again and go back to Coral Area
- Rinse and repeat
If your Assassin’s Hood still has not recovered after you are done with Coral, just straight-up skip Tundra and go to the Volcano and Rotten areas instead. It will save more time. Don’t forget to change mantle with Tool Specialist in it. I suggest bringing Ghille or Glider Mantle since they have the longest upkeep and shortest recovery time as well. Plus, you can use Ghillie to hide from large monsters (and then Banish Ball them to the shadow realm) if you need to.
Another trick you need to know when farming Steamworks fuel is that three different coals will give you different amounts of fuel. To make sure you only get Dragonvein Coal Chunk, the one with 500 fuel, never mine a crystal all the way! Always save the last of items of each mining crystal to keep it at the max rarity level. Since when a rare crystal finally spawns, it will downgrade all crystals in the area as well.
If you are not using Geologist Level 3, it means always stop after mining a crystal twice. While you can mine it three times if you’re using Geologist Level 3 since it adds one more item to crystals. This trick applies to Guiding Lands bone piles as well. Below are the coal and fuel list in case you need a reminder.
- Dragonvein Shard: 20 Fuel
- Dragonvein Coal: 100 Fuel
- Dragonvein Coal Chunk: 500 Fuel
We hope this guide could provide some help for either newbie or veteran hunters out there. Don’t forget to leave a comment below and happy hunting!