Many consider Minecraft Java Edition for PC the best version of Minecraft due to its access to online mod libraries, and controller support is one of the mods featured in such collections. While the mouse and keyboard serve as a common method to play on Java, some players prefer the handheld comfort and accessibility of a gamepad or controller. Since Minecraft Java on PC does not have native controller support, fans of gamepad-oriented gameplay will need to visit one of the popular online modding libraries for the mod they need — Controllable of Curse Forge.
How To Get Controller Support For Minecraft Java On PC
To get started, Minecraft fans must first head to the official download page for the Controllable mod on Curse Forge. On the upper-right corner of the screen, they will be given two options to either Download or Install. Download is the method requiring the manual installation of the mod, while Install completes the process automatically via the Curse Forge app.
Below are the steps for the manual installation of the Controllable controller support mod for Minecraft Java:
- Step 1: Download and install the latest version of Minecraft Forge for Minecraft
- Step 2: Launch Minecraft and make sure the game launches through Forge. If Forge does not appear in the list of options, ensure that “Modded” is checked in the Installations tab of the Launcher. If Forge still has yet to appear, select “New Installation” and Forge 1.19 in the second option.
- Step 3: Once Minecraft has been launched, select Mods from the in-game main menu.
- Step 4: Choose “Open Mods Folder” in the bottom-right corner.
- Step 5: Drag and drop the Controllable controller support mod for Minecraft Java into the folder.
- Step 6: Relaunch Minecraft and use a connected gamepad to confirm that controller support is working.
This mod supports the gamepads for PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch. However, getting these controllers properly connected to one’s PC is a process the mod does not do for the player. On the other hand, once fans boot up Minecraft and enter the game, they should be able to utilize their gamepad immediately in the game. Modded controller support should also function in multiplayer online servers, meaning that while other users within a world are using a mouse and keyboard, the player can still use their controller to play and interact with the environment in Minecraft.
Minecraft Java Edition is available on PC.