For many players, World of Warcraft has always been about the endgame content. So, just how fast can you reach level 60? How do you do it? That’s what we’re going to be looking at today in our impatient players’ guide to level 60!
Leveling in Classic WoW vs Retail WoW
In Classic WoW, some players are happy to immerse themselves in the leveling experience and gain a deep understanding of their character. Others have been playing the game for well over a decade and just find leveling a chore. Even new players can find Classic WoW leveling to be too much of a grind. Sure, it might be fun for 30 levels or so, but 60 levels? The road to 60 is long and unforgiving compared to retail WoW. In the current WoW, players can utilize Heirlooms, a special type of gear or weapon that will level with their character and always has strong stats. Traveling in retail WoW takes a fraction of the time it does in Classic WoW, allowing players to hop from zone to zone with relative ease. You just gain experience quickly in retail and zoom through the levels.
Put simply, retail WoW is optimized to encourage fast leveling, and Classic WoW just isn’t. However, there are still ways to optimize this grindy leveling process in Classic.
The Mega Fast WoW Speed Levelers
Are there still challenges to be beaten in this old game? Vanilla WoW was first released in 2004 and from the moment it launched, the race to world first level 60 was on! A player called Joana would be the one to take the crown, leveling to 60 in 4 days and 20 hours – an impressive feat by any standards. When the game rereleased as Classic WoW in 2019, Joana was ready for the challenge again, only this time he had 15 years of perfecting his technique on private vanilla WoW servers.
Joana had been a prominent part of the WoW speed leveling community since 2004, but he wasn’t alone. While he perfecting his speed leveling, other players were too! Ultimately, Joana was defeated the second time around, and in the 2019 Classic WoW, the crown went to Jokerd. Jokerd earned the title for world-first level 60 in just 3 days and 20 hours, shaving a whole day off Joana’s previous record. This was 3 days and 20 hours from the launch of the game, not time played. Jokerd’s time played was actually 3 days and 7 hours, meaning he had no more than 13 hours of sleep in 3 days!
But the race wasn’t over. World-first level 60 is an impressive challenge, but speed leveling is about more than who did it first. Other WoW speed levelers continued to try different techniques to beat Jokerd’s time played. Before long the record was beaten by a player named Arlaeus, who got to level 60 in 2 days 15 hours and 54 minutes. The record has now been beaten again by YouTuber Fearstreet 528, who reached level 60 in an insane 21 hours and 16 minutes of playing time.
How to Level to 60 in the Fastest Time
This is how the fastest leveler reached level 60 in under one day.
Tip: When you’re getting WoW Classic boosting by higher level players, you need the average group level to be close to your level. This means you have to bring along other low-level players.
- Level 1-8: Tag the mobs and allow a Hunter or Warlock friend to set their pet on the mobs. It must be the pet, and not the player doing the damage. The higher level player also cannot be in your group.
- 8-20 (Horde) 10-20 (Alliance): Enter the Ragefire Chasm instance at level 8 if you are Horde. If you’re Alliance, enter Deadmines at level 10. Have a higher level player boost you and your group to level 20.
- 20-38: You can now enter the Scarlet Monastery instance for boosting by higher level players.
- 38-54: Go to the Maraudon instance and repeat.
- 54-60: Zul Gurub raid boosting.
This strategy won’t be feasible for all players since you either need a very selfless level 60 friend or tons of WoW Classic Gold to pay for a friend. You also need a continuous stream of other players around your level to join the instances with you to reduce the average level of your group.
The General Guide to Fast Leveling
If you can’t find other players to boost you, or don’t want to pay the WoW Gold for it, then you can do this.
- Always log out in Inns or cities to get Rested experience.
- Kill everything: If you see a mob, kill it.
- Don’t bother with professions: Professions take a lot of time, so it’s better to do them after you are already max level. The only exception is First Aid. Being able to heal yourself if important. You could take Skinning to get WoW Gold form leather, but it will slow you down.
- Be careful with questing – As a general rule questing isn’t efficient because the travel time required for most quests just eats into your time. It’s more efficient to grind mobs or grind dungeons.
- Picking your class: Hunters and Mages are the best solo levelers. They can pull many mobs at a time and strike them down. Just be aware that if you pick a slower class like Warrior or Rogue, it will take you more time because you don’t have area of effect damage.
- Do dungeons whenever you can: The XP per hour is great in dungeons.
- Sell everything: If you’re leveling to 60 for the first time, or the first time on a new server, then manage your Gold carefully. You will need Gold to buy flights and to buy your mount at level 40. To level fast, you need to get your mount as soon as you hit level 40. Any later is wasted time!
That wraps it up. This is your speed leveling guide to level 60 in Classic WoW. Good luck!