Frostfang Barioth has finally shown its fangs in Monster Hunter: World Iceborne. This cooler-than-regular-Barioth variant comes in Tempered form and is available as an Event Quest titled ‘The Last White Knight’ from August 7th to August 19th. It’s occurring just before the start of previous seasonal events reruns. Although obviously it won’t pose as much of a threat as Alatreon, the fight is still pretty fun and the armor sets look quite nice — and it is one of the few full-face helmets available for female hunters. Continue reading below for our guide on beating Frostfang Barioth and a peek of both alpha and beta armor sets.
Tips For Fighting Frostfang Barioth
While Frostfang Barioth’s standard attacks won’t give you many problems (especially with overpowered post-game sets), its new moves can be a deathtrap if you are not too careful. There are four new moves you should look out for: a charged ice blast, a quick short breath that makes an ice puddle, double-lunge follow-up, and a flying ice puddle blast. Be extra careful and look out for their signs since those attacks hit like a truck. Here are three tips to lessen the damage:
- Try to get 20+ Ice Resistance for your armor: It will help to reduce damage and add resistance to Iceblight, a status effect which makes you use more stamina.
- You can use Torch Pods to remove the ice puddles: Shooting Torch Pods can remove ice puddles on the ground. You can try helping your friends by shooting Torch Pods at their feet. Or if you’ve shot it beforehand, you will recover faster from the effect of the ice puddle.
- Positioning really matters: Especially if you’re trying to snipe its head. Sticking real close to the head and chest area is pretty safe, but one bad position can make you end up stuck in ice and have to eat the double-lunge attack.
- Don’t rely too much on your shield: For shield users, the ice puddle attacks are unblockable like Velkhana’s so don’t even think about blocking it.
Other than that, the usual strategy for fighting regular Barioth still applies for Tempered Frostfang Barioth. Break tusks/head twice to reduce ice blast damage, break forelegs to make it trip, cut the tail to make the tail swipe attack much less annoying.
Frostfang Barioth Iceborne Armor
You will need a total of 20 Frostfang Tickets to craft Frostfang Barioth alpha and beta armor sets. Both sets will give you Punishing Draw for one piece of armor and Slugger Secret for three pieces. Below is the list of armor skills on each piece.
Frostfang Alpha Set:
- Frostfang Helm α+: Critical Eye Level 2; Quick Sheath Level 1; Deco Level 3 + Level 2 + Level 1
- Frostfang Mail α+: Attack Boost Level 3; Critical Draw Level 1; Deco Level 3 + Level 2
- Frostfang Vambraces α+: Critical Eye Level 2; Slugger Level 1; Deco Level 2 + Level 2
- Frostfang Coil α+: Quick Sheath Level 1; Critical Draw Level 1; Deco Level 3 + Level 3 + Level 1
- Frostfang Greaves α+: Attack Boost Level 1; Slugger Level 3; Deco Level 1 + Level 1
Frostfang Beta Set :
- Frostfang Helm β+: Critical Eye Level 2; Deco Level 4 + Level 2 + Level 1
- Frostfang Mail β+: Attack Boost Level 3; Deco Level 4 + Level 2
- Frostfang Vambraces β+: Critical Eye Level 2; Deco Level 4 + Level 4
- Frostfang Coil β+: Quick Sheath Level 1; Deco Level 4 + Level 3 + Level 1
- Frostfang Greaves β+: Attack Boost Level 1; Deco Level 4 + Level 4
Have you beaten Frostfang Barioth yet? If not, we hope this guide will be useful in your endeavor. Share us your hunting stories in the comments below. Don’t forget to read our guides on leveling Coral and Wildspire Guiding Lands areas as well!