The winners for the third annual Anime Awards are out. The 15 categories celebrate the best in Japanese animation by awarding developers and creators for their hard work in 2018.
This year, over 5 million global votes were cast across 15 categories from fans celebrating their favorite characters, series, and creators, up from 2.1 million votes the year before.
The winners for the 15 categories are listed below:
- Anime of the Year – “Devilman Crybaby” from Science SARU
- Best Protagonist – Rimuru Tempest of “That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime”
- Best Antagonist – All for One of “My Hero Academia” Season 3
- Best Boy – Izuku ‘Deku’ Midoriya of “My Hero Academia” Season 3
- Best Girl – Mai Sakurajima of “Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai”
- Best Opening Sequence – “DARLING in the FRANXX” for the opening sequence “KISS OF DEATH” sung by Mika Nakashima and produced by Hyde, sequence director Toshifumi Akai, and storyboards by Atsushi Nishigori
- Best Ending Sequence – “Attack on Titan” Season 3 for the ending sequence “Akatsuki no Requiem” sung by Linked Horizon, sequence director Satoshi Kadowaki
- Best VA: Japanese – Mamoru Miyano for his character Kotaro Tatsumi from
- “ZOMBIE LAND SAGA”
- Best VA: English – Christopher R. Sabat for his character All Might from “My Hero Academia” Season 3
- Best Director – Masaaki Yuasa of “Devilman Crybaby”
- Best Animation – for “Violet Evergarden” from Kyoto Animation
- Best Film – “My Hero Academia: Two Heroes” from BONES
- Best Character Design – “JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind” from Takahiro Kishida with Original Designs by Hirohiko Araki
- Best Fight Scene – All for One vs All Might from “My Hero Academia” Season 3
- Best Continuing Series – “Dragon Ball Super” from Toei Animation
Masahiko Minami, President. & Producer at BONES INC. received the Icon Award. The honor recognizes influential figures who have contributed to the art and industry of anime.
The Crunchyroll Anime Awards were streamed live on Twitch and presented in San Francisco.