As you progress through Starfield, you must search and mine dozens of minerals and materials throughout all space systems. But since some resources are much rarer than others, you may run into problems. One of the rarest minerals in all space is Ytterbium. After all, while you can find common minerals like Nickel or Lead on more than 300 planets, Ytterbium is only available on no more than 35 planets. Despite this, you still must find this material to create weapon mods like Overclocked, Double Barrel Muzzle, Binary Trigger, and others. So we are here to help you and tell you where to find and farm Ytterbium in Starfield.
Starfield: All Ways To Get Ytterbium
First of all, it is worth noting that you can get Ytterbium in Starfield in three ways:
- Firstly, you can buy this material by visiting some vendors.
- Secondly, you can mine this material using the Cutter on several specific planets.
- Finally, you can automate the Ytterbium farming process by using Mining Outpost.
If you are not yet very good at developing space resources, purchasing Ytterbium is a good solution. You can buy this rare mineral from many general goods vendors in big cities or space stations. But since this is a rare material, it probably will not appear in stores until you significantly increase the level. You can find this material in the Resources tab for 30 Credits, but the goods available for sale from any merchant are limited. If you have bought all of Ytterbium, sit on the nearest chair and wait 24-48 hours. This time will be enough for the vendor to replenish the assortment, and you can buy more of the necessary material.
As for the location of vendors, there are quite a few of them. For example, you can visit the Amoli Bava NPC in the Jemison Mercantile building in New Atlantis. But if you want to buy as much of this material as possible and be sure that you will find it in stock, you should head to Cheyenne System and land in Akila City on Akila Planet. Visit the Midtown Minerals shop, where you will find tons of different and rare minerals.
If you don’t want to spend money, you can mine Ytterbium using a Cutter. Of course, you can scan each planet and look for the chemical symbol YB. But this may take too long since this material is only available on about 30 planets. So here are a few locations where you will find a lot of the desired mineral:
- Tau Ceti V planet – Tau Ceti System
- Indum III-b moon – Indum III planet (Indum System)
- Indum V-a moon – Indum V planet (Indum System)
- Leviathan IV planet – Leviathan System
- Volt moon – Faraday planet (Delta Pavonis System)
- Denebola III-a moon – Denebola III planet (Denebola System)
How To Farm Ytterbium in Starfield
You probably won’t need too much Ytterbium for your needs, but since it is a little more expensive than other minerals, you can make good money selling it. In this case, you will need a lot of Ytterbium, and here is how you can farm it in Starfield:
- First, find a suitable celestial body and scan it to ensure the presence of Ytterbium. For convenience, use the list above.
- After that, scan the planet in Space Map mode, look at the YB chemical symbol color on the left side of the screen, and find the territory with the maximum of the same color.
- Land at the chosen location and use the Helmet Scanner to confirm the presence of Ytterbium under the surface layer.
- Create a new outpost by installing an Extractor, 5-6 Solar Array or Wind Turbines and several Storages.
- Finally, complete the construction by adding a few modules as desired, wait a little, and enjoy the uninterrupted supply of the valuable mineral.
Starfield is available on Xbox Series X|S and PC.